medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
It's 7 months post tib/fib fracture which was plated and pinned and I'm still 2 cm. smaller around my left calf. Any suggestions for rebuilding that area? That leg is still weaker but I can ride and have close to complete range of motion. My balance is back to normal too. All you bionic people out there, what worked for you?

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Have you already been doing "lifts" (calf raises) with your body weight? ie. Standing on one foot, rolling onto your ball of foot, and lifting your body weight? One set with leg more or less straight, one set with knee slightly bent. (You'll need to hold on for that one.) There is also a reverse lift which is more for the front muscles along the shin, which is undoubtedly atrophied as well. It will gain you a lot of benefit at the lower reaches of the gastrocnemius. For this exercise you lean against a wall with just your shoulder blades supporting you, hips about a foot or two away from the wall, weight on your heals. Lift your toes/balls of the feet upward.

Flexibility exercises will be important as well: yoga type moves (warrior pose/static lunges are one example).

Once you can do all of that:

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Gastrocnemius

Didn't you get referred to physical therapy?
Hope this is helpful.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice and website, the reverse lift feels like it will be very helpful. Been doing the calf raises. I don't know yoga, will have to look that up. Had to cut P.T. short and help care for my Mom out of state. Is your Norton an Atlas? I used to ride a P11 and a Commando. Wish I still had them.

Top Bottom