Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jennifer Snyder wins the Pro Singles main event in Richman, Va.
2Nd Mike Hacker
3Rd Rich King
4Th Smith
5Th Poovey
6Th McCoy
Way to go Jen, all of you ladies should be proud. The guys that she beat are some of the top flattrackers in the country.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I read about it on grandnationalchampion.com this morning. That's a real accomplishment. She's only 17-years-old and to beat those veterans is quite an achievement! She's a great rider, and on a big racetrack like the mile and a quarter track in Virginia that she won on last night, it certainly helps to be as light as she is. She only weighs about a hundred pounds, soaking wet, and that counts for a lot of horsepower down those monster straightaways! With the Harley factory behind her, she's going to go a long way and will hopefully increase recognition of the sport of the dirt track. Way to go, Jen! And yes, every female dirt rider everywhere should be very proud of her.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Jennifer will do a lot for female motorcycle racers. She is very talented and fast and that has nothing to do with her sex. While I agree that there are a lot of sexist, chauvenistic people in the motorcycle world, and in the world in general, I think the reason a lot of people were taken aback at Harley's decision to hire her had more to do with her lack of experience than her being female. Professional dirt track racing is a very tough business. I tried it myself for a number of years and it is very DIFFICULT to be successful. The great Dick Mann used to say that racing on oval tracks is easy, but doing it better than everyone else is the hard part.

Harley-Davidson is the only factory team currently involved in dirt track racing (although Suzuki seems to be picking up interest recently) and unlike motocross, factory rides are obviously limited. Last year, for example, there was only one full-blown factory rider and that was Rich King. And that's why a lot of people, myself included, were a little confused as to why Harley hired Jennifer Snyder this year. She's only 17 and up until this past weekend she hasn't had much of chance to prove herself. Not to take a thing away from Jennifer, but it was hard to see how she was worthy of a factory ride when so many others have paid their dues for years and years. At least for me, my reservations and opinions had nothing to do with Jennifer being female. I would've balked if Harley had hired any unproven racer instead of looking at so many talented riders waiting in the wings. But she won a national this weekend and that is an awesome achievement. Evidently, she has what it takes to run with the big boys and I enjoyed a little "crow" with my breakfast this morning!! My hat is off to her! She won a dirt track national and that's something thousands have tried (myself included) and precious few have ever accomplished.

Incidentally, Jennifer isn't the first female rider to taste success on the national dirt track circuit. Back in the late 80s, I raced against Tammy Kirk from Georgia and she was FAST. She never won any nationals, but she did very well at the national level and turned a lot of heads. She was very aggressive, always fast and really successful on the bigger tracks. I believe she is racing stock cars now.

Harley and Bill Werner obviously saw something special in Jen Snyder and she proved her mettle this weekend. Congratulations to her and anyone woman who rides!

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Sorry Kali, I didn't necessarily take offense to your reply or take it personally, I just wanted to defend some of my flattrack buddies and myself and try to hopefully explain why a lot of folks had mixed feelings about Harley signing Jen Snyder.

BBOM, in regards to the sites showing information on the race, try www.grandnationalchampion.com and dirtrack.com.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
There was a very nice interview with Jennifer in Cycle News a few issues back. The girl seems to have her head on straight. She knows that it was a bit controversial for Harley to sign her. She understands that some of it is PR, but she's also not about to look a gift horse in the mouth! Very appreciative of the help that H-D had given her, even before the factory sponsorship, and ready to take the next step to prove herself. Great role model. Someone to watch and root for in the coming races!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
bbbom.
Check out www.flattrack.com Click on Hos's flat track forum, there is a great article on the race from Cycle New's. It would be a good one to send to the NASCR site. She even set fast time.

I watched Jennifer at Del Mar. She came from behind in the main event, on a nasty track and finished 6TH. I believe. Also, talked to her in the pits and she is a great representive of the sport.

smoody

Dec 17, 2000
I am so pleased to hear about Jennifer doing so well. Yes, we can compete and being a good PR rep in more ways than one will help our gender go a long way to acceptance.

I do want to mention Michelle DiSalvo. She has been racing the 883 dirt track races for years and has just moved up to the big 750's. She too, has been a great reprentative for the girls out there. We go to a lot of the dirt track races and you can always hear in the crowd. "There's that girl". Speaking mostly of Michelle until Jennifer came on the scene. Michelle helped pave the way for Jennifer in her ability and the way she carries herself.

SMoody

Top Bottom