Attention 00 and newer CR owners...

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Got your exhaust valves seized? In 2000 Honda threw away the design for the HPP power valve and replaced it with the RC valve. The design has one flaw. There is a gap between the power valves at the exhaust bridge. This allows carbon deposits or in worse cases (in the event of piston seizure) molten aluminum to imbed in the tiny gap and fuse the 3 main valve parts together. That consists of: the two valves and valve shaft. Thus, the valves are stuck in the cylinder and the cylinder cannot be rebuilt if necessary, since the valves cannot be stripped from the cylinder.

This happened to me. I seized my Eric Gorr bored 133 on a cold day back in October. The cylinder could not be replated since the valves were seized. I was not about to let the cylinder become a $310 paper weight (plus the $350 invested in the kit).

The solution: We made a type of jig that allowed us to use a hydraulic press, to indeed press the valves out. One problem, the valves can only be pulled out in one direction. We used a steel plate, and drilled holes in it to fit the bolt pattern of the valve cover side. Also drilled a hole, so the plate could be fastened to the exhaust valve bolt. Then used 3 longer valve cover screws and thread them in to the valve cover bolt treads. Placed another plate on top of the 3 bolts and mounted the jig and plates to the press. We used the press to push down on the 3 large bolts. By doing this, it drove the cylinder away from the fixated valve shaft, thus pulling it straight out. The task did no damage to either the exhaust valves or the cylinder. Now the cylinder is striped and to be sent off to be replated.

I took a picture of the cylinder and drew up the plans on computer, so if anyone would like to see the picture and compare it to the above instructions, it could be done in very fast manner. Just E-mail me and I can send you a copy. So save your self a couple hundred dollars, and take my advice.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I sure would like to have a copy of your plan! I'm not having that kind of problem yet, but just in case. ;) I'll pm you. Thanks!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Good Job!!

Wow Yogurt, I don't even have a Honda but it is very nice of you to share that information with us. I bet that idea of yours will save somone here a lot of grief and money they may not have.

THUMBS UP TO YOGURT!! :) :) :)

Top Bottom