Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I am considering purchasing an 05 250sx, or possibly even an 06. I am not farmiliar with KTM's at all. Are there any must do upgrades that all of you have done to your ktm? I know about the mudflap guard, but what exactly is the problem with the wheel spacers? Is the stock pipe on the sx's really a FMF, and what type of v-force reed cage comes on them? Any of you out there with 05 250sx's, how does your bike compare with a new jap 250 (not better or worse, but what is different about it). I hear that the suspension is not quite as good as what is found on the jap bikes, what do you guys think? Finally, How much have you guys paid for your 250sx's?

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
You pose some tough questions.First,there is alot of things about the ktm's come with bone stock that the jap bikes do not.There is a pretty big list of up grades.Its a tough question to answer becuase every body is different in weight.If your a light guy the suspension should be fine,ktm re did there suspension for 05 and the mags are saying it is compareable to any of the others.The 250sx motor puts out the most power by far over the others.What one stock bike is good for one person may not be good for the next.My advise to you would be to sit on each bike and see which one feels best to you.All the bikes in that class are great bikes and just because a magazine says it is the best bike does not mean that your going to go out and kill everybody on the track with it.The lowest rated bike may be the one that feels best to you and that is what matters.
In reality who leaves there bikes stock anyway.Once you get it home you start doing upgrades to it anyway,just the ktm comes with alot of stuff that you would be upgrading on the other bikes.No matter how good the suspension is stock,there is nothing like riding a bike where the suspension is set up for you rather than the entire population at 175lbs.Once you got your suspesion dialed in the ktm I think for the money is the best bike you can buy.Good luck and I hope you see the orange light at the end of the tunnel. :cool:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
The wheel spacers just "groove-out" really quickly. Pick up set of hard anodized and they'll last forever. The suspension does feel different. Good valving work is really noticeable on these things and the rear is sensitive to sag settings along with ensuring you have the proper spring for your weight. In other words, if you have the wrong spring you'll hate it.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
No matter what bike I get, I do plan on having the suspension done by MX-Tech, although I do weigh in at 175. I've sat on a few ktm's and I like how narrow they feel, but would replace the seat with a tall one, I've heard that the enduro engineering seat is a good product, along with the rest of the things that they make. I understand that for 05, the 250 switched back to a double ring piston. I'm interested in what makes the KTM engine so good. I understand that it has the straightest intake and exhaust tract in the business, as well as the best combustion chamber design. How does the jetting on KTM's compare to the jap bikes? Are they easy to jet, or are the more difficult to jet than the jap's? I really like the way that the KTM's look, and their dedication to producing what no other company will. Besides, my local KTM dealer is the Evansville Superbike Shop, I haven't had much first hand experience with their service, but I have had experience with the other three dealers in my area, and they suck. The only thing that I dont think that I will like is the tiny little gas cap. Is rece fuel needed on the 05 KTMs like it is on the 05 hondas? I think the mags are full of ****, and take what they say with a grain of salt. I can't believe that KTM recomends running 60:1 ratio, I think that I would just use 40:1 instead.

Another thing that I am wondering is how much power did KTM leave in that engine. With as much power as it already makes, what benefit could possibly be had by porting, besides cleaning up casting flaws and ensuring that the ports are symmetrical?

What different offsets can the stock triples be adjusted to?

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
If you have MX Tech setup the suspension, you probably don't need anything else done to the bike. The engine should be plenty strong although I have not ridden one. Overall, the bikes need little aftermarket parts since they come that way new. It may need a jetting adjustment, you should not need race gas.

Try starting with MX Tech and get used to it before you do any motor mods.

k-ryder

Feb 10, 2004
i bought a 05 250sx about a month ago.

motor: super strong & very smooth.

suspension: i heard stock is better this year but this is my 3rd ktm and i knew to just get the suspension done from the get go. i had precision concepts do mine.

handling: it actaully handles good once set up correctly, imo.

fit/finish: look at a ktm compared to any japanese brand and see what ya think ? to me its not really that close.

what i paid: $6500.00 out the door in so cal.

modifications

suspension: $400.00 re valve, $120.00 (race tech telescoping shock needle ) stock springs where fine for me ( 200lbs ) i did have a travel reduction shim ($35.00) installed in the shock. this corrects fr/rr weight balance and seems to help handling quite abit...suspension total $520.00

motor: stock

pipe: pro circuit pipe/stock silencer....pipe $170.00 but sold the stock pipe for $120.00......so $50.00 was total cost. result about 51hp !

jetting: you could dial it in with the jets they give you, but i ordered the jd kit $80.00.......it even smoother now

seat: i went with the sdg tall soft seat. $120.00

bars: stock renthals but i did put 20mm bar risers on.

all in all pretty inexpensive and easy to dial in, imo.....awsome bike, i'd highly recommend !

Last edited:

250racing

Aug 26, 2002
ktms dont need race gas they are that good motorwise i run pemex 93 octane here in mexico because its the only one we got with motul 800 mixed at 50:1 and i havent had any problems my bike is a 2003 and it came with a doma pipe and a boyesen rad valve. this stock motor smokes most 450 thumpers that i race in my enduro series. i only did the suspension. i doesnt need anything else.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
k-ryder said:
pipe: pro circuit pipe/stock silencer....pipe $170.00 but sold the stock pipe for $120.00......so $50.00 was total cost. result about 51hp !

!

Where exactly do you derive this 51hp value from?
Dynojet RWHP?

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Stan, at 66:1, you're sorrier than safe. Do some searches here about oil ratios before you hurt your nice new pumpkin. 32:1 or 40:1 would be better ratios, even if you need to re-jet.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
KTM build fine bikes , but so do the others.....Since you plan to have the suspension set up for you, I doubt you will have problems with it.....Still , whats unrideable for one guy , is great for the next guy.
The KTM has a lot of small clever details , adjustable offset , powervalve , different base gaskets and so on...
Its funny that you mention the gas cap , our bike has the same cheap feeling cap , and dodgy threads as my sons 97 50 cc Pro Junior !

elf

Jun 7, 2003
SFO said:
Where exactly do you derive this 51hp value from?
Dynojet RWHP?

I believe he got that from a test in MXA. They said the 05 ktm 250 made 48hp stock and 51 hp with the pc pipe.

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
on my 03 125sx I put a bar pad on it, changed the tires, and an FMF pipe. I would highly reccomend a new seat, im used to mine a bit but after riding a kawacouchey I wouldnt mine one. SDG sells one peace kits that I have herd are nice. GAS AND GO!!!!

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
What's up with the pipe changes? If you need more HP than the stock bike has the factories need some riders that can handle the power. My 450 has plenty of power I would suggest you try taking the corners a bit faster! :bang:

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
A must do on any ktm is to change the stock handlebar mount, it will break and bend in a crash. Then a must do on all bikes i think, is to buy/build a radiator protection. On ktm its really easy to build one. Here how: http://int.pixum.com/members/pyroma...=1573200&ktw=968919edb1e831456202e092add6bda6

You will need to protect the cluch slave cylinder, its very thin and bad located, if your chain breaks it will most likely break. Even a stone in between the chain and clutch can break it any your day is over. There is a protection to buy but then you can crack the engine block in case your chain break. Im not quite how to fix this but i have build it a bit thicker with steel epoxy.

Also i found out i needed a pipe protection cause i got a big dent in my first crash. Maybe now ktm related but the pipe does seem a bit thin.

Top Bottom