rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
I made a terrible discovery today while riding my new YZF, it's third ride. I noticed the "timing assessment check bolt" had fallen out of the left side engine case/cover. This is the smaller bolt of the two on the side cover/ignition cover. Don't know how long it had been like that, maybe an hour as it was there when I started this morning. I checked and rechecked all the motor mounts, fender bolts, exhaust bolts, and spokes during breakin but didn't mess with these. So if you haven't checked them better do so ASAP. I have my fingers crossed that it didn't do any damage as I believe the cam is visible from this hole. Needless to say I'm not happy. Anyone had this experience yet? Not sure where to get a replacement for it other than the dealer who haven't been very helpful upto date. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears....

------------------

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
You could throw on a DSP cover and not worry about losing the plug again. Save the OEM cover of course for finding TDC for checking valves. Just a thought.....expensive thought.

------------------
I'm in shape....Round is a shape.

blakemx124

Feb 16, 2001
We lost ours too after 2 rides. The little plastic plug is a common piece on the Yamaha fourstrokes on both their street bikes and dirt bikes. The part costs about $6.00. You probably don't have any engine damage. The way I noticed ours missing was a ton of oil all over my boot after a moto.

------------------

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Man what's the deal with these things falling out? Sounds like the factory isn't tightening the to spec. Anyone had repeat issues of these falling out?
You're probably right about the engine damage, it's a sealed area away from the motor. Only thing that could have been damaged is the flywheel.

------------------

Top Bottom