Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsripper

Dec 10, 2000
I have been looking into an auto-clutch for my 400 EXC. There are three on the market that I am aware of; RevLoc at $995, EFM-Billet at $500, and Z-Start at $359. I think the Z-Start is only for the Honda CRF 450.

I called both RevLoc (talked to Dave) and EFM-Billet (talked to Garry) and both guys claim their clutch is better. Here are the facts from my conversions with these guys:

1. RevLoc send you ready to use clutch, charges a $400 core exchange, and then credits your $400 when you send them your basket and inner hub. They will also upgrade '00 and '01 bikes to the '02 style inner hub. EFM-Billet requires that you send them your clutch parts and they modify the inner hub and send you back the autoclutch in about a week.

2. Both clutches require a new inner hub if you want to restore the clutch back to original. I am not sure of the price, but both thought they were about $150 from KTM.

3. RevLoc has made a total of 700 clutches, about 70 were for KTMs. EFM has made about 350 clutches, about 50 were for KTMs.

4. RevLoc is made of 7071 Al and uses Tungsten carbide balls. According to Dave, this is an advantage and the reason why their clutch is better.

5. EFM uses 6061 Al and uses relatively common hardened steel ball bearings. Garry says that his design works with these materials and does not need the hard materials that RevLoc and Z-start use. According to Garry, the other manufacture's designs are prone to galling and deformation and require the hard materials to provide reasonable life. (RevLoc has slots or pockets for balls to ride in, EFM has flat ramps that the balls ride in). I have not seen any design details of either clutch, so I have to take this info at face value until I know differently.

6. RevLoc states that they have engineered their product from scratch. EFM says that they simply copied the proven design used in ATV autoclutches and applied it to the dirt bike clutch. EFM believes their ATV-copy design, which lasts forever on ATVs (which weigh 2x of a dirt bike), will last for years.

7. EFM clutch has 0.140" of travel and should not need any adjustment throughout the life of the clutch plates. The RevLoc has approximately 0.040" of travel and will require adjustment as the clutch plates wear according to Garry.

8. Garry of EFM has been making autoclutches for his own use and for go-karts since 1993. He decided to get into the autoclutch business after he saw that RevLoc was being successful with their design.

9. Both designs allow the use of the clutch lever to "fan" the clutch and to do motocross starts. There is a limit at which you cannot overcome the force of the balls. According to both, you can use the clutch to get the bike back into the meat of the power.

I like the general idea of the autoclutch because I tend to wear myself-out during a tight harescramble with my 400. I have read nothing but positive reviews of any autoclutch (Revloc, EFM, Z-Start) although I do not know anyone who personally has one.

At this point, I am leaning towards the EFM for two reasons:

1) It is half the price. I can live with $500 experiment but I am not sure if I can live with losing $1000 (actually the costs are $650 and $1150, including a new inner hub to get my OEM clutch back).

and

2) I like the idea that EFM is an ATV clutch copy.

Has anyone tried an autoclutch? What are your experiences?

JP

red 450

Oct 27, 2001
I have got a preproduction z-Start in my 02 CRF and I have put about eight hrs. on it so far. The z-Start is just a expanding pressure plate that replaces the stock pressure plate and the first friction plate. Both stall speed and engagement points are adjustable by changing the number of balls or the weight of the internal springs. If you wish to keep the clutch lever for manual engagement a 3/16 " spacer gets put behind the clutch cover but it is thin enough that no adjustment of the rear brake is required. So far this clutch has worked flawlessly for me,engagement is smooth but full lockup is as fast as you can twist the throttle. You can sit at an idle in gear and wick the throttle and make the bike stand straight up. I have ridden a CRF with a Revloc and they seem exactly the same as far as I can tell both work very well for tough gnarly off road use. The z-Start is just getting off the ground with the first production run of forty units being shipped out. I would sure like to see someone or some magazine arrange a shootout of the three auto clutchs. The price varies so much between the three products that it would be interesting to find out if the extra money is worth it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom