Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I'm still out there floating around looking at vans. I've come to notice that i see"Rebuilt trans" alot in ads. Not sure what it is about vans and auto trannies. My guess is some tradesman had it over loaded and beat it to death. Is there a way to test an auto tranny when you are doing a test drive. A few techniques that may reveal a possible future problem. Keep in mind the owner would more than likely be in the vehicle so no brake stands!! although don't be afraid to include a few "don't do this infront of the owner" suggestions in case i get to do a solo test drive.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
1)Pull the dip stick and smell the fluid. It should be claen and not smell burnt. Dip stick should not have any rust on it-indication it had water in it at one time.

2) Drive and feel how it shifts-should be smooth with no jerking. Should feel trans shift through all the gears.

3) If it has an O/D button, while cruising at 50mph, push the O/D button and feel for an rpm change.

If the owner objects to a quick "power brake" he might be hiding something.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Depending on the rebuild a "shift kit" or "shift improver" may be added that makes shift feel firmer than a stock vehicle. This is desireable to prevent heat buildup.

Some more things...

From park shift through each gear and note if it takes a long time for the tranny to find the gear, should be pretty qiock. When it does find the gear it should be relatively smooth change into the new gear.

Be leary of the van with an engine idle rpm set pretty high to prevent the engine from stalling when the tranny is shifted into gear. Should idle low and smooth in and out of gear.

Run the truck up to speed under load like on the highway. In each gear apply a load for awhile and then let off the gas for awhile listening for unusual running noises. Run at full speed for a little while to make sure that everything is quiet.

A short power brake is not to abusive to a tranny. The owner won't be able to stop you before you know if it works.

Tranny fluid smells and colors. Wipe the fluid on a white paper towel to see true bright red color. The dipstick has its own color and is deceiving.

Look for leaks and it is a good thing if the vehicle has an auxilliary tranny cooler installed.

Get a receipt if the owner claims to have rebuilt the tranny. The shop will have it on record if the owner lost the receipt.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Re: the advice to powerbrake during your test drive, Anyone does that in a vehicle I'm selling and the tranny drops, they will be buying the vehicle right then for full asking price, or they will get sued for a new tranny and other costs. A test drive does not authorize you to abuse somebody else's property.

If you must have the power brake test before you buy, ask the owner to do it for you. If he declines, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I suppose I should say to me a powerbrake means to apply the brake firmly while the tranny is in drive and add fuel until you are satisfied the torque converter is not slipping. Is that right?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree, no harm should come if the brakes are held as throttle is applied gently and momentarily. And lots of the tips above are very useful.

However, I'm not going authorize some lookie loo I've never met to mash the throttle down against the brake 'until they are satisfied'.

And if they try it without asking, they better be gentle (no sudden let off the brake while pushing the throttle through the floor) or they just guaranteed one very annoyed seller, even if nothing breaks. That's not so good for the buyer when it comes time to setting a price.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for the replies!! Lots of good tips, glad i made the post!! For the record i never heard the term Power Brake. In my neck of the woods a brake stand is when you push down on the brake then step on the gas and light up the rear wheels. Is this the same thing as a Power Brake??

Again thanks for the replies!!

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
No, a "power brake" is a "brake stand" without spinning the tires. Doing a brake stand shouldn't hurt anything as long as you don't do it over 30 seconds, the temp will start to rise and cook the fluid. Although I'm not so sure what your going to find doing that anyways.

If the fluid looks good and it shifts without delay then I wouldn't worry about it. I've rebuilt just as many trans that had burnt fluid as ones with nice pink fluid before. Sometimes it's just a roll of the dice.

Top Bottom