farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Has anyone installed or tried one of these products from EFM or Rev-Loc? It sounds like the ticket for nasty single track. Some converts even install a rear brake level on the bars.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I just picked up an '01 220 (yesterday) with the EFM installed. The previous owner rigged up a pull system from the left handlebar to the rear master cylinder, so it maintained the rear pedal activation.
We just got several inches of snow, so it may be a couple of weeks before I get to really try it out....

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
My friend and I both have Rev Locs on an "02 and '03 220's respectively and I can tell you it is the most dramatic mod we have installed. I have an FMF Pipe and silencer, DF 2 reeds, RB carb mod, Gold Valve suspension and Scotts damper, all of which are great mods and have improved the bike with each step. The Rev Loc clutch however is the one that allows me to take full advantage of all of these improvements. Note, it is not a factor on high speed fire roads, open sand areas, or other high speed riding situations-and that's the beauty of it. But, any technical areas, tight woods, hill climbs or even fast trail riding and it shines. For starters, you simply can't stall the engine. Not on a hill, not by locking the rear wheel as you slide into a turn, not at all. We constantly go by our buddies with conventional clutches in the trails, regardless of what they ride. It makes a good ride great. In our group, the conclusion is unanimous, they work. Only one catch, $$$. They aren't cheap. $900 - $1,000 depending on the dealer. ( IMO worth every penny)

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by craig_enid
I just picked up an '01 220 (yesterday) with the EFM installed. The previous owner rigged up a pull system from the left handlebar to the rear master cylinder, so it maintained the rear pedal activation.
We just got several inches of snow, so it may be a couple of weeks before I get to really try it out....

Do you have pictures of the setup

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have a question on these automatic clutch kits...

Seems to me that with a manual clutch, you can quickly pull the clutch in, shift, regardless of throttle position or engine RPM.

Now with an automatic clutch, how is clutch engagement triggered? Engine RPM? A set RPM, or just a decrease in RPM, whatever that RPM level is?

Without seeing it work, it just seems that if you snap the throttle closed, there would be some lag in waiting for the RPMs to decrease so that the clutch would engage, so that you can then shift. No? I'm guessing that I'm missing something here and just ignorant of how this thing actually works.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I rode a KDX equipped with the EFM at Loretta Lynns this fall. Quite impressive. I couldn't stall it no matter what. Start it in gear....stop in gear and it still runs. Weird! This bike also had the clutch lever rigged as a rear brake. I kept grabbing it by mistake.....I didn't like that. Power delivery seemed to be just like a regular KDX. I'd have to really ride one all day to like it or not. If my clutch ever goes out I might just get one. You had to have a thick spacer on right side case though which made you have to really bend brake lever out to clear. This was something I didn't care for.

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
As I said, I have the Rev Loc, and don't know about the other brands, but there isn't any spacer with mine, it looks the same as stock from the outside.

As far as shifting, you just let off of the throttle for a split second to take the torque off of the transmission and shift, the same as I did with a conventional clutch. The engagement of the clutch is RPM controlled, but that doesn't really affect the shifting. I can tell you that everyone who has ridden the bike, gets used to it very quickly and they love it in tight stuff.

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
louis
I won't name anyone, but I always smile politely and try to show some sympathy NOT!

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by farcry2

Do you have pictures of the setup

Well, I couldn't stand it. Fired it up and cruised the cul-de-sac through the slush and snow.
Preliminarily, works OK. I think it drags a little at idle, though. That may loosen up after some riding. I did try to grab the 'clutch' lever once, when the front end tried to wash out.......
http://community.webshots.com/photo/103211108/104606974kITSHj

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
Very clever setup for the lever/cable activated rear brake. This would be the hot setup for the nasties, just like a mountain bike.

I wonder how the automatic's are for hanging wheelies? It shouldn't make a difference oce you have the front end up, and when I shift on wheelies I don't use the clutch anyway.

Top Bottom