Automatic Gear Change.

DJPdesign

Mar 26, 2003
Automatic Gear Change.

Has any body done an automatic up shift for a dirt bike? I remember reading about a system on one of the works HRC bike a number of years ago.

Why?
Automatic shift would help gear changes and speed off the gate.
Convenient for land left-hand corners.
Increased speed, Full throttle changes, though cutting spark (power).
There are a few electronic systems about, but these would not be good on a MX bike.

Theory says:
Simple and Light.
Pneumatic system, actuator on the upshift only. Say 50 changes?
This cuts the spark for full throttle changes. (Good for about 8 feet per change apparently) http://www.harris-performance.com/website/frameset2.htm
Small pressure tank. (if your brave use the frame; This has been done on drag bikes for the fuel) CRF450 has some big aluminium extruded side tanks ready!)
Switch on Bars.
Micro switch for ignition.

Discuss…

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
You know Ive put them on Dragbikes and on one Drag Race Banshee for the street but never on any mx . might be cool concept.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Look at the old Husky Auto's - up and and down shift. I thought they were great, however unperfected.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Honda is using an automotive type auto tranny in their quads already.

Steve

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
You'd need a lot more than 50 shifts for a moto. Imagine the start is 3 and every straight (nearly) on an outdoor style track takes you from 2nd to 4th so our local track quickly guesstimated would be:

I'm guessing 15-16 upshifts on a 250 per lap and it's just over 2.5 minute lap times. So if that were a 6 lap race with 15 shifts per lap we're looking at 90 upshifts per moto.

That huge aluminum thing on the back of every bike... the swingarm, looks a lot like an air tank to me! LOL Hey maybe we can pretend we're running really large BOOST bottles again and just make them compressed air - I'm joking here. I actually know people that want to do this to their bikes for various reasons. One was a guy that only has one leg, the other is a prothesis.

I'm still curious about the auto clutches out right now. I want to see a full on race test on a YZ250F and a 450 - not a DR. This would give me an idea of how well they work for MX. I know people that would dig that thing if it worked.

MP

lakota

Apr 24, 2003
From what I've been reading on other forums, most MX racers don't use the clutch to upshift or downshift much anyway. Except for starting out of course.

I had heard of this before, but never tried it myself. I've always been afraid of tearing out the tranny.

Are any of you guys shifting gears without using the clutch?

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by lakota

Are any of you guys shifting gears without using the clutch?

All the time.

Steve 

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…