ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I know a friend that can get me 110 octane "Av-Gas" for alot cheaper than $3 a gallon unleaded, I guess it is the fuel that you buy at the airport. I know that it is blue and already has a oily base to it....Can I run it in my dirtbike(RM250-265kit) and just add like 50:1 2-stroke oil? This way I could buy a stock head (up the compression) and wouldnt have to worry about ping...
Chris

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I don't know what you took from that article, but I read that AV-Gas isn't a very good for MX, unless your running your bike right on the edge.

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
Didnt he also say that it was ALMOST as good as pump(but no worry about ping)? But not nearly as good as race? That is what I got from it....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There is a lot more threads than that one. There was even a guy buying toluene from the paint store. Are you kidding me? Any insane slash cheap idea you can come up with has been tried over and over. Sell me that bike and buy an older xr or something. I would bet it could run on refined pieces of coal.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
That article has pretty much everything... however depending on the refiner they can use less or more MTBE in AvGas. If they use too much you will get deposits on the piston/head etc. Up here in Canada our 94octane Chevron pump gas is just fine for pretty much everything... though you can't beat VP racing fuel's products. Just try the AvGas and see.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
There's no oil in AV-Gas. Read the part about less throttle response and stay away from it.

By the way, gas aircraft engines are very large cubic inch motors operating at a steady 2400-2600 RPM depending on manufacturer. Example, AEIO540 is a 540 cubic inch 6 cylinder that only makes 300HP. O-360 is a 360 cubic inch 4 cylinder motor that only makes 160 horse power. The fuel doesn't like high RPM.

They use two plugs per cylinder for safety reasons but that also helps to light this crap off as noted by a drop in performance when one ignition is shut off. AV fuel is specked to a standard so that it's consistent at all locations so that engine performance can be charted for each takeoff without exception.

If your sharp you can spot the very very few bikes that run it by the splodge that comes out of there tail pipe from the unburnt mix. Further, you won't find it in any experts bike.

Don't be a dork and buy it because it smells cool coming out of your tail pipe.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
By the way, your less than $3.00 per gallon is a dream unless your buddy is stealing it.

The link below is the national average divided in regions ranging from $4.82 - $5.16 per gallon. Most places won't sell it to you in cans unless you have an aircraft based at the field and you provide an aircraft registration number for the fuel receipt.

http://100ll.com/

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
It is a friend of a friend.....and I just know that I can get a 55gallon drum for cheap(not naming #s). how, i do not know, do not want to know and do not care....

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Dude your young, save your money and don't buy that crap.

I noticed from your profile that you live in the DFW area. Piper Performance is owned by a freind of mine and he has a Dynojet dyno. Take your bike there and spend 80 bucks to get the proof that you seem to require. Cliff will be glad to take your money and sell you a pipe. Your bike will make more HP/TQ on pump gas than AV Fuel.

If you want to make more power buy a pipe for less than a barrel of your friends gas and you can still use pump gas with out any problems.

Further, Texas cities don't have all the BS additives that we have in CA. and AZ. so your gas station gas is better than ours.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Can I run E85 ethanol in my bike? Unbelievable. Let's see how diesel fuel works! Come on people, run PREMIUM pump or an mx designed fuel. Fuels are blended for certain applications for a reason, not just so someone gets to come up with a new name for it.

NWetRider

Sep 24, 2004
Did anyone read where the article clearly said that avgas is better then alcohol based pump fuels? In most states you can not get away from this which is why I run avgas. No it's not as good as race gas but most don't want to pay $12 a gallon. Pump fuel is not made for a MX application either. Look at the evaporation curve compared to something like C12.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
And yet they keep coming out of the woodwork. Different fuels have different additives. Some really does not like others. You may be lucky, and maybe not. Some act as catalysts, and some do not. Have you ever seen a distillation curve for your secret mix? All from riding and looking at your plug, correct?

Top Bottom