Awe Supercross...It's that time... [SPOILERS]

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Awe Motocross. When I first got into the sport Ricky Johnson and Bob Hannah were my favorite riders (Bob Hannah was a tough guy who crashed a lot. I liked that). I loved Rick "Bad Boy" Johnson winning the '84 National Title on a Yamaha YZ250.

I looked up to the big boys but I was just a Young Buck on a Yamaha 60 looking to move up to the 80cc class and chase down Rick Simmet, Lowell Thomson, Jimmy Gaddis, Kyle Lewis and Buddy Antunez at Mini Olympics, Loretta Lynns and Ponca City.

I loved how Jean-Michael Bayle came in and destroyed Jeff Stantons reign (remember I was a Rick Johnson fan). Never liked McGrath. I hate how Damon Bradshaws career ended.

Does anyone ever think about George Holland, Erik KeHoe or Guy Cooper?

Out of the 3 little Fox Racing guys (Ricky Charmichael, Travis Pastrana and James Stewart) 2 are retired from AMA Racing (and Stewart no longer is in Fox Racing gear).

Awe yeah this 2009 SUPERCROSS Season should be a great one. Stewart on a Yamaha, Reed on a Suzuki, Honda having a powerhouse team once again, Kawasaki moving Villopoto up to the Big Bikes (just hope he doesn't become another Robbie Reynard) and Tim Ferry still chugging along and getting better with age.

WE HAVE THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD!

Last edited:

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Josh Grant really surprised everyone. Should be a great season. I think James "BUBBA" Stewart will come back from being 23 Points down.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Honda has a powerhouse team again?

I just miss the two strokes. The whole invasion of the thumper still seams surreal to me. They were slow to catch on at first...almost like they were forming a coup on the 2 strokes. Then over just a couple years BAM...total domination.

Edit: Josh Grant was the man for the night, but in reality Alessi, K-dub, and Millsaps should have ridden better. And bubba/reed won't take each other out in every round (at least I hope not). Obviously he's fast enough to hang with the crowd, but he's got his work cut out for him if he wants so much as a podium spot again.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Micahdawg said:
Edit: Josh Grant was the man for the night, but in reality Alessi, K-dub, and Millsaps should have ridden better.

Alessi is coming back from major injuries and has only been on the bike a little better than a week, as of 5 days prior to A1 his team manager still had not given him the green light to race. K-Dub got caught up in the James "Dazed & Confused" Stewart efforts to get his bike off the track. As far as Daisy Mudflaps I think he's riding out the string and will continue to spiral downwards until he realizes he actually needs to train to compete at this level.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
I wish Mikes brother Jeff Alessi wouldn't of rode the small bikes indoors. I think Jeff Alessi is way better on the Big 450cc Bikes and really should of been in that class. His 8th Place in the Lites doesn't show his potential.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
SMMWest said:
I wish Mikes brother Jeff Alessi wouldn't of rode the small bikes indoors. I think Jeff Alessi is way better on the Big 450cc Bikes and really should of been in that class. His 8th Place in the Lites doesn't show his potential.

According to what Jeff said, he feels he is a better 250f rider. Which is the reason for his switch back to the little bikes.

He had a good run last year on the 450, but if he thinks he can perform better on a 250, he's the best one to make that decision.

I think he's just afraid to race RV.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As far as Daisy Mudflaps I think he's riding out the string and will continue to spiral downwards until he realizes he actually needs to train to compete at this level.
Here here!

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
Yeah, I knew Alessi had that horrendous outdoors crash, but last fall I saw an update from him where he looked in good spirits, standing by his bike. I guess I was too optimistic that he would have an amazingly quick recovery.

I'm super pumped that Tedesco didn't break anything (on his body) after A1. Could he maybe finish the whole season?!?!?!?

And why does Mudflaps always look sick? He is the most sickly looking dude ever.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
J-man said:
I was really bummed when K-Dub hit stewart. Im pulling for Kevin this year, He deserves the championship this year. IMO

Yeah it is going to be sad that Kevin Windham just like Mike LaRocco will never get a Supercross Championship in his career, but not as sad as seeing Guy Cooper never even get a Supercross Main Event win. I was happy when Doug Dubach got his Supercross win in San Jose 1991.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
IndyMX said:
According to what Jeff said, he feels he is a better 250f rider. Which is the reason for his switch back to the little bikes.

He had a good run last year on the 450, but if he thinks he can perform better on a 250, he's the best one to make that decision.

I think he's just afraid to race RV.

Sucks that Jeff didn't even make the Main at Phoenix. I was going to hit him up and talk to him about it, but naw I'll just let it go. Can't wait to sit down with him at Hangtown this year. Jeff needs to show his true potential. He just needs that confidence.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I too am really pulling for Kevin. A championship win couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I was at the Indy race when he won and last year(Year before maybe?) He came out after the opening ceremony to say good buy to fans and rode around on a Cr250 two-stroke with factory connection graphics. I'll be honest, i got a little teary eyed. He's a really nice guy.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
I have been a fan of Kevin Windham since he was a Kawasaki rider for Team Green (he was very fast on his KX125).

I really thought he would would someday be an AMA Champion (I mean a big bike champion I don't count 125cc/Lites supercross titles as AMA championships). Doesn't look like that that will happen but he made a good run at it throughout his career.

I think K-Dub has a great riding style. He is smooth. Reminds me at times of riders like David Bailey, Ron Lechien or Jean-Michele Bayle.

suCCeSSor

Jan 21, 2009
I'm hoping Villopoto will find his "mojo" soon in the 450-class like he had in the 250-class. Stewart lost a fan when he let the Money instead of Loyality guide him (if that was the case), but I've always liked Villopto anyhow.
Just looking for more competetion this year instead of if Stewart shows up you know the end before it begins.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I think having a prior contract with Red Bull and riding for Monster Energy Kawasaki complicated things. Red Bull must be paying good.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
JS had issues with that monster conflict for sure$ And he seemingly wanted to race what ever? Paris and limited outdoor events? He is getting exactly what he wanted. Wonder if he will EVER get settled on the blue bike? Too bad, I know he is much faster, much smoother than the first 3 races I have seen. His showings is turning me into a whine bag Reed fan!!!!!! BUT! RV is riding better every weekend, by the years end I hope he brings it to the table for the main checkers?

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
In 1993 it took Jeremy McGrath what 5 Races to figure out hey I am the Fastest Supercross Racer in the Sport. I think Villopoto is figuring out that he belongs upfront in the 450 Class after last week. I am sure he will get a Main Event Win before the Season is over. I just hope he actually gets it and doesn't become lets say a Ron Lechien (love that guy) or Jeff Matiasevich and not live up to his full potential.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Stewart fastest in Houston practice. This should be a great night of racing. Reed doesn't seem to ride the track very well.

Top Bottom