Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I was just riding my bike up the street to get a feel for it after I jetted it. I opened it up in 1st and then put it in 2nd and it didn't go into gear and make a grinding noise. I put it in 2nd again and it went it but when I got to my house I heard a loud screeching/grinding noise so I shut it off and cussed alot. I started it up and then it only did it in neutral with the clutch let out and in gear when I starting moving. Well a friend came outside and I started it to show him and it quit. I changed the oil to check for metal shavings but there weren't any. The thing is I have a guy that wants to buy the bike coming over sometime today so I don't know what I should do.

Joey

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
How do you get the clutch linkage out, I dont have a manual so I dont really know exactly whats in there. If I just leave the linkage going through the cover nothing will pop out or anything will it?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My buddies 426 did that, right after a complete rebuild. Jumped outta gear, made a couple crunchy noises, and then started screaming like a Banshee! Had a pin come loose in the bottom end, then ran it through the engine. About $700 later in miscellaneous parts (New jug, piston, oil pump, crank/bearings) he's got a brand new engine! Hope you don't fall into this category! Good luck!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Something is definately rumbling around in your case. I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a clutch basket backing screw on the Hinson basket that was fairly new. It sheered and got caught then loose. You will have to inspect all your fasteners inside to see what came off. Then once you know, you have to find that piece. I had to take my engine out of the bike to turn the engine so I could get to it with a stick or magnetic probe.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I have ridden the bike since then and it hasn't made any weird noises or done anything wrong. I have been about 5-10miles on it since that happened and nothing seems wrong. I need to check it out soon though because Im not sure if this guy is still gonna buy the bike. I may just end up keeping it and rebuilding the whole thing.

Joey

Top Bottom