kc

Oct 2, 2001
here's what being lazy will getch ya: gotta good deal on a new 756 front tire so i paid a friend 20 bucks to change the tire. After all I've done it plenty of times and figgered he needed the practice... He gets done and it looks good. He says, "I don't know if the the axel cap nuts are tight enuf." I say lemme see and promptly snap the top inside stud off.

Buykawasaki.com doesn't list a part number for these studs...

Friend says all is lost and have to buy a 250 KXF...

Help

2001 Kdx200
would love to keep it

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I’m not exactly sure what you are talking about but assume you mean the studs on the fork leg that hold the cap that holds the axle.

No drama, you can buy this sort of stud, either new from a fastening shop (though they would have to order it) or ask a wrecker to pull one out of a busted fork. You could just use some threaded rod of suitable quality (not just any junk).

You task would appear to be removing the old stud. All the usual tricks apply depending on how much is accessible.

Buy a Diesel? :scream: -Tell him to wash his mouth out with Bel Ray.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
You should be able to get them from a local moto shop.

It happens all the time to, uh, this friend of mine ;)

My tourque wrench is a little overkill for these, so I use a t-handle or choke up on a wrench. Check to see if the other 3 are necking and ready to go too.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
12ft/lbs? I recall something along the line of 72in/lbs. Yes? No?

Note that houndog's post has a link to a thread that has the kawi part number for the stud. Sometimes the fact there IS a url in text isn't obvious unless you hover over it. You did get to his referenced thread ok?

Maybe houndog will bold it for us next time. ;)

Or as (I fergot) midhigh or somebody says...'clicky clicky'

Note there is a gap in that assembly. AT THE BOTTOM! So, you put it on such that there is NO gap at the top, WITH a gap at the bottom.

Oh...and there is an arrow on the cap. It points up. ;)

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
It's actually 87 inch lbs, part no. 172G0622 for the stud. At least that's the part no. I wrote down the last time someone brought this up.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
How much is showing? If there was still thread on it then you would lock two nuts together & undo the inner one pulling the stud out, but if that were the case then why would you want to remove it. If there was a bit you could mig a nut to it (& a bit of heat will help break the bond of corrosion so long as you don’t go crazy).

If there is nothing useful showing then don’t mess around, you don’t want to damage the forkleg. Take the fork off & go visit a local small engineering shop.

Top Bottom