Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
I'am thinking about combining a vacation with doing the National in Az, actually my wifes idea. What is the terain like around Wickensburg? Are there any good areas to get a practice ride in midweek? Still planning haven't confimed anything yet.
Thanks,
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You've got a smart woman there Don! (And you're a lucky guy). Nice jump on the National series. I also toyed with the idea. My dad has a house in Fountain Hills (near Scottsdale). Problem is that we already had a 2 week vacation scheduled in February.

Where's that '04? And would you drive out?

If you do go, post some pictures!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Still working out the details about driving. My work load isn't getting lighter.
On the 04 they keep telling me one more day, on Friday they said today.
I was going to check after lunch.
Don

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Don,

Arizona is fun. Obviously it is desert conditions so you have to be prepared for Choia (Sp?) It is a type of cactus that if you run into it or someone throws some at you then the only way to get it off is with a comb or something. If you even just brush up against it with your ankle it will put poison in you and make your joints stiff. Since it is early in the year it is not too hot, generally. There are rocky and sandy gullies but it is most know for the "Shelf" trail and the "waterfall". The shelf trail is just that. About a 12" shelf for miles and if you fall off don't plan on getting right back on. If someone needs to pass you have to lean the bike way over to let them by. This is near the end of the B loop so you are tired. Then right after that you drop down the waterfall. You will know you are there when you see a lot of spectators. If it is dry then it is not too bad but VERY steep solid rock with a flat landing. If wet then HANG ON! The A loop generally starts with a really nasty steep hill. It is a good enduro when the organizers have their act together. Otherwise scoring can be wacky and such. Watch out for that CACTUS STUFF!

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Don, I'm headong out to do the AZ National. I think I will be leaving Tuesday night after work. I have some friends that live in Tempe. My plan is to arrive sometime on Thursday and do riding on Friday. Keep me posted and we can hook up and ride with the locals. Still not sure if I will traveling solo or not. If so what a way to break in the new van.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Napper, sounds good I hope to make sure the plan will work this week. I also will be breaking in a new bike & truck I hope.
Don

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Well
It looks like I'm going to AZ.
Anyone have any ideas on riding areas to get some practice mid week. Anywhere between Phoenix & Havasu.
Also some tire recomendations please.
Thanks,
Don

trx440

Jan 18, 2004
I'm not sure where they are running the race at in Wickenburg but I have ridden at Alto Pit and a trail up to Vulture mine. Exactly what you would expect from Arizona, rocks, dust and Cholla cactus. You can check ArizonaTrailriders.com and RidingArizona.com for more local info.

Don't get carried away with the "warmth". It will most likely be in the lower 70's [during the day] when you are there but Wickenburg is over 2000ft in elevation and far outside of the heat of Phoenix. It WILL be cool to cold at night. I know 30's doesn't sound cold to you [I'm from New Buffalo, MI myself ] but it is when you were planning on 85 degrees, sunscreen and Margaritas and you forget pants, sweatswirt and a jacket.

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I'd recommend a intermediate or soft terain tire. 756 Dunlop or Maxix IT or surcross. The rocks and gravel really chew our tires up. At the end of the race they will be junk.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Don you’re a lucky man! Good luck and have fun! You too Mike "NEW VAN" what'd ya get? Is she set up like the one you had @ Trailfest? Any way have fun.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks for the replies guys, gotta lot of work to do before then.
Don

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Anybody interested in a AZ. for a ride the first week of the month?
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Don and Napper - Have a safe trip and a great ride out in AZ. And Don, if that '04 is still in the crate, time to break it out...

Hope you packed your needle-nose pliers and tweezers - heard you're going to need them!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Well I made it back!
AZ is a long way from Michigan. The course was very challenging lots of dust, rocks, cactus and hills, did I mention ROCKS!!!!!!!! My first race in B Senior didnt go very well, I made it the 40 miles to the B loop transfer and went about fifteen miles on the B loop & had a flat front tire (it had a Moose heavy duty tube with slime)with loose spokes & crashed hard going downhill hurting my shoulder (see the Dr. this afternoon). The race was over for me, didn't finish. The NEW (now looks old) bike performed well but needs some suspention work. It was still fun & is better than the 4 feet of snow I came home to.
Don

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Well Don, my first race in the Senior B class went about the same and my second was barely much better but I did finish it. I'm looking forward to Rose-log and seeing if I can continue to improve. Keep yer chin up and hope your OK.
Freddy

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Don welcome back! Sounds like you had a rough time. Did you get any points? I drove past the shop yesterday and the the new set up! Bike and truck are pretty kick a$$ looking!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Well its official, a broken Clavicle 4-6 weeks of healing & brace wearing. Hopefully I will be ready by Rose-log. Can't ride anyway to much snow!
Don

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Fractured & plenty sore! I feel the same, don't want to do it again.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Bummer Don...

Welcome to the "Sucks To Be Me" broken collarbone club. :| Like our wives who go on to have more kids after labor and delivery, this too shall pass, the pain will be a distant memory, and you'll be roosting again by spring (although mine still aches, but your's will be different!) At least you're getting this broken bone stuff out of the way before the riding season really begins.

You'll have to fill us in on all the details of the road trip and race. Did you go out solo? Did the loop take you down through the stream full of rock ledges? Saw some pics on the club's web site, and that section looked like a big cheek-pucker...

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Bill,
I hope you are right about the time frame for healling, my plan is to be ready by Rose -Log. If not I will be there to run gas. Brett Campbell flew out to practice & race, he's the funny talking Australian that rode the fall trailfest. I never made it to the ledges on the website but there were other big cheek-puckering areas. The website photos pretty much shows it like it was. I will take mud & trees anytime! Well I'm off to Nashville TN for a week to do a trade show, wish I could take the bike to ride. The forecast shows snow anyway, I just can't get away from it.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I was out 3 months before I could ride, and even then it was cautiously. At our age ( :ohmy: ) the bone takes longer to heal, and rebreaking it would not be hard if there's any small impact to the area. I couldn't even drive for 2-3 weeks, so it sounds like you are already in a much better situation.

You definitely win the award for "miles traveled vs. miles ridden". I drove straight through to Page, AZ with my step-dad back when I was 16, and it was a loooong drive.

Top Bottom