BAAAAD, BAAAAD, BAD....Bad vibrations....

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
644
Likes
0
#1
I finally solved my vibration issue (I think) thats been killing my GPS.

I've tried various mounts from Home grown to RAM. Tried shimming, tapinging and siliconeing the batteries. Tried an external battery in several different configurations and locations.... All did the EXACT same thing.

As soon as the little pinger revved up beyond 1/3 throttle the vibration would kill the power to the unit instantly. I determined it had something to do with the harmonic resonance of the engine interfering with the unit's board, and causing it to shut down. problem was how to solve it with out chucking my top tripples in favor of rubber monted ones. I hate those BTW.

I think I nailed it today. I took and old inner tube and chopped it up pacing it as a damper of sorts between every mating surface of a RAM mount between the bar and the GPS itself.

so far it's worked. I'll test it fo' real this weekend.

I hope this works.
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
980
Likes
0
#2
Another option would be DON'T buy Freddies hand me downs. I think thats the bike we changed out piston and connecting rod with a Swiss Army Knife and a 2 by 4. In a driving rain, after the beer was gone. :nod: Vibration should be the least of your worries. :nener:
 

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
644
Likes
0
#3
TCTrailrider said:
Another option would be DON'T buy Freddies hand me downs. I think thats the bike we changed out piston and connecting rod with a Swiss Army Knife and a 2 by 4. In a driving rain, after the beer was gone. :nod: Vibration should be the least of your worries. :nener:

I like living dangerously. :cool:
 

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
2,479
Likes
8
#4
TCTrailrider said:
Another option would be DON'T buy Freddies hand me downs.
Oh......that's not the bike that Fred siezed and bent the crank shaft is it? :whoa:

;)
 
Joined
Dec 2, 2003
Messages
2,491
Likes
0
#5
My GPSv has finially given up the ghost due to vibrations. Its not totaly dead but its on its way. It totaly locks up occasionaly with nothing on the screen but a black line. Have to unplug it and pull the batteries to get it to reset.
 

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
644
Likes
0
#7
BadgerMan said:
Oh......that's not the bike that Fred siezed and bent the crank shaft is it? :whoa:

;)

thing runs fine now. I knew he had an issue with it. this aint news.
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
980
Likes
0
#8
FS. 2004 EXC250 trail ridden by a 50 plus, SS Rider. Installed the SX piston and head to give it better lugability. :nener:
 

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
2,479
Likes
8
#9
Wolf Child said:
thing runs fine now. I knew he had an issue with it. this aint news.
It's news to me as I had no idea.......I was just joking! :ohmy:
 

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
644
Likes
0
#10
TCTrailrider said:
FS. 2004 EXC250 trail ridden by a 50 plus, SS Rider. Installed the SX piston and head to give it better lugability. :nener:
it's an 05. :fft:
 

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
2,479
Likes
8
#12
I guess now that you mention it I do remember Fred siezing a bike some time ago. I just did not make the connection. :coocoo:
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
2,498
Likes
0
#13
TCT is that the bike that fell off the bike hauler behind his suburban while headed up I75 to Wolverine in Oct. 2006???
 
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
2,498
Likes
0
#14
BadgerMan said:
I guess now that you mention it I do remember Fred siezing a bike some time ago. I just did not make the connection. :coocoo:
Byron enduro 2006
 

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Joined
Jan 1, 2001
Messages
2,479
Likes
8
#15
Wolverine423 said:
TCT is that the bike that fell off the bike hauler behind his suburban while headed up I75 to Wolverine in Oct. 2006???
...a little late to the party, aren't we? :laugh: