Bachelor Livin’ in Santa Maria, 2nd Week

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
My how things change once you move in. The next-door neighbor kids yell/fight constantly, and the TV blasts every night ‘til 9:30-10pm, yet things get mysteriously quiet after that. Odd: it’s either hot or cold. But it doesn’t bother me as I have plenty to keep myself occupied with either here or around town. Monday night I met another tennis player and we’ll see how that pans out; the ball machine is getting a little vanilla, and the tennis balls flat.

The town sure gets quiet after dinner. And most of the drivers are in no hurry, driving at a safe pace. There appears to be a large population of retirees and farm worker families, which may explain the relative calm compared to San Luis Obispo (college town) and Goleta (another college town) after hours.

I’m not certain whether my apartment should be furnished or left bare bones, as it will be used for such a short term. (The furnished places were rare and quickly taken, and I cannot see renting furniture for a few months stay.) We figured it safest to at least get a new bed; the thought of cooties and like small living creatures shivers me timbers. So for now it’s the new bed, the lightweight picnic table (soon to appear at a campout near you!), and boxes Thumbs gave me. A picture or three to hang on the walls at the most would certainly chipper up the place.

I thoroughly enjoy the Thursday evening farmer’s market in San Luis Obispo, and was looking forward to attending again, although there was a delay last week while searching for a parking space. Waiting in an intersection to make a left-hand turn, the light turned from green to yellow, then to red. As I pulled forward and nearly completed my turn, another car coming from the other direction to my surprise turned in afterwards and put a dent in the fender of my rental car, behind the passenger’s-side front wheel. I immediately got out to see if the other driver was OK, and she was, then I noticed her car was full of others of like age. Mmm. As we exchanged information, the police came by, asking if we needed assistance; we were believed to have it under control so they moved on. We agreed to let the insurance companies discuss the matter - she looked rather shook up. Then she got back into here car and sped off! My car (a rental Caddy) steered rather oddly; stopping to investigate revealed the front was out of alignment. Dang! I’m going to have to give up my plush ride and go back to the standard-issue Buick! Don’t get me wrong: I appreciate what my company is giving me, although you understand how spoiled one can become with a Seville.

Thinking it would be best to shrug this off and not let it ruin my evening, I parked and hiked the entire market, eyeing the produce, but not before getting my tri-tip shish-ka-bob. The cooks sure look like they are enjoying themselves.

Afterwards I drove to the airport to exchange my wounded soldier. Alas, I’m going to miss the leather, moreover the V8 with dual exhaust – no more king of the road and vroom. Heck, I put over 4500 miles on it since last month.

A welcomed event over the weekend was the meeting up with some DRNers at Clear Creek (see Ride Report Forum). It was a bit ambitious to do both days, but conditions were exceptional and the company certainly welcome. I’m thinking of doing Ballinger Canyon on Feb. 8/9th if anyone is up for it, but not unless the area receives rain between now and then. There are two infrequent DRN posters from the central valley who have agreed to join in – others? It’s on the far side of Frazer Mtn., near the intersection of Kern, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties. I’ve been there once, and understand it receives little use but affords some fine opportunities.

OK: that’s it for now - sorry for the ramblings. It is therapeutic to at least write of experiences; my wife has more than enough to do and needs me just to listen (and not talk – why, some things never change now do they!) when we phone each other, she having our three teenage sons back home.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Placelast, please continue the stories!! I remember Farmer's Market well and I'm living vicariously through your stories at times. Ever pick up some Rib Roundup at Old Country Deli?? When you move back home you'll wish you had some of this grilling delicacy.

And Santa Maria reminds me of all the trips to Romer's Hardware, perusing the aisles, shopping for nothing but finding something to buy.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Great read John ! You could write travel books for sure ... well, at least we get to enjoy them here on DRN.

Are you working / racing the Piglet or Boar in March ? I might be able to sneak out for that ... plus it seems to be a regular DRN get together.

A definite possibility ...

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Maybe you should put up some rock band posters on the wall, get a cheap TV & set it up on cinder blocks, & re-live college days! I'll make a trip up on that weekend if at all possible. I've always wanted to check out that area. ROAD TRIP!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
3 consecutive posts such as those above are what you call a "triple knucklehead".

Road trip ?!

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jeff-o: Yep; gonna get me sum ah them/there sheesh-ka-bopers ta-nite toooo: share beets cookin’ barger ah-gain.

GetMetro: Okay, but just a few more: I bore myself big time.

Rib roundup at Old Country? Yummm; I’ll sample there next. No; only been to Mo’s like 4x - their hickory-smoked pulled beef & cup-o-beans has me hooked, not to mentioned laying honey butter on the corn bread and let's not forget a side of onion rings. Oh, and they serve the local wines!

Ever do that sausage-stuffer near Marsh?

Romer's Hardware? Not listed in the phone book; hafta ask the locals what happened. I’ve been doing Orchard Supply Hardware instead of Home Despot…

Eel-er: I volunteered/am signed up to help work the Piglet and Boar. Yes, it looks to be another DRN Norhern-er gathering, a great opportunity to meet more of 'em. C’mon up, you and others – knuckleheads or not are certainly welcome to stay in my half-way house.

‘Jack: gad – that reminds me of the black-light posters in the college dorm rooms; now just where did I put those things - why here's been my bell bottoms all those years, and - uh - oh - ahhhhyyeess-ummmppffrra-zip!: they still fit!

Thumbsy: I am looking forward to the races starting later this spring (www.santamariaspeedway.com - cyber-site is not responding yet). I see it’s big horsepower on four wheels. What I really hope to see are those speedway bikes, ya know, the ones that steer only one way and have no brakes? Now that'll be fun to watch.

Top Bottom