R1driver

Dec 13, 2004
Hi All, took the plunge ,bought another dirt bike after ten years out of the sport.
I just picked up a nice 02 CR 250, for 1800.00 (gatta luv those winter, it's gatta go prices).The bike is stock, other then a fresh top end, fresh rubber,aftermarket alluminium. radiator mounts, alluminum. throttle tube, DEP pipe and silencer, and the airbox mod to fix for leakage.
My last CR was a 93(Best bike I ever owned-but thats another story entirely), so of course this thing felt like a rocket after ten years of riding nothing other than a friends xr400(his invitation to go riding that xr was what got my blood boiling again-I did ride a 03 crf450 at the MX track we were riding at that day ,but I just am not sold on the 4-stroke mx bikes,not as fun to ride(my opinion only)).
Ok- I've found this bike,at a price I thought I couldn't pass up,got her down in the basement tearing it down for inspection/maintenance- not going to Ice race this first winter-taking my time getting her set up for the upcoming season.
I belive the jetting thing on these has been hashed out-read plenty on this-going with the s8 nozzle and so on(mine actually seemed to carburate pretty well).
So far I've ordered both 49, and 50 tooth sprockets,got a new plastic/seat cover/graphics set on the way, and am considering going with Mr. Gores Mo- Better port and head mods.
The bike has a DEP pipe and silencer on it, any one out there have any feedback they can offer on this?
Is a aftermarket reed, or reedcage a good thing on this model?
If so wich brand?
Most importantly- anyone out there with a 02 CR250 have the mo-better mods, what do you think? was it worth it?
This bike has a fresh top end on it, so sending it out seems,well you know????
Thanks all who take the time to answer in advance.
One happy forty year old thats happy to get back in the dirt.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
You can put that old "new top end" into your newly ported cylinder....

Other than that, I don't have my 2002 dialed in well enough as of yet to offer any useful help.

And yes, $1800 for a 2002 is a STEAL!

R1driver

Dec 13, 2004

The fella was asking 2700.00, was driving by it for about 2 months,seen it was still outside,talked to him, he came down to 2100.00 right away.
Said I'd think on it, figured Id take it.
Then that night I found two 01 rm250's one at 1800.00 the other at 1599.00 OBO,called him said 1500.00 would take her home.
Well I'm not a Rm fan at all, had 2,(89 & 91) both broke (frame on one,swingarm on the other),that stuff just stays with you,but what I did was use those prices to bargain with him.
Told him I would give him 1800.00 (300.00 more that the 1500.00 Rm) ,take it or leave it-I was going to get the Rm that night if he said no-he had three hours to make up his mind.
He said no.
Well low and behold,he calls me just before Im about to leave and ask's if its cash,I say Heck ya,be there in ten minutes,and now she's in my basement.
The thing about the fresh topend- it was just apart, kind of hate to dissasemble more than I have to, you know, and another set of top end gaskets, not a big deal, but one of those things.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Congrats on the bike, you stole the thing from the poor guy. The stock reed cage blows (design flaw) and will eat reeds in no time at all. Both Boyesen and V-Force make quality aftermarket cages. The V-Force has more petals to help distribute the load more evenly and reduce failure. The only caveat is that it requires you to cut the stuffers off of the stock intake manifold and takes a little more caution during installation so you don't create an air leak. The Boyesen unit is a drop in with extra material inside the reed block (similiar to the '03-up design) that is used to help straighten the flow and reduce the cage's volume. I opted for the Boyesen but haven't ridden with it yet so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

Mo Betta porting rocks, if you can figure out a way to swing it then do it. I'd buy the porting before I'd buy a different pipe, more effective and cheaper too. If were to do it all over again I would have upgraded to a better reed cage design, installed a Keihin PWK, and Mo Betta porting, all in that order, and called it good. Of course going fast in a straight line isn't as important to me as it once was.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Hmmm... My bike's got a V-Force in it now... I've got a PWK from my 2000 on the shelf... looks like it's time to pull the top end and get it in a box! :)

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Another vote for Mo' Better porting. It will retain the good characteristics of the stock motor while moving the mid-range hit lower. And the hit will be harder than before. Makes the bike much more fun to ride.

Jetting the stock Mickey Kuni is a pita. I'm currently using an H2 72 needle from a 2001 CR and like it pretty well. I believe you can get the S8 nozzle from Sudco - P/N 003-723. Cheaper than buying it from Yamaha. See page 140 of their online parts manual.

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
I have an 02 in prestine condition with a polished frame,swingarm and sub frame.the bike also has v-force reeds and is dialed in.my boss at work is offering 4,000 for it.Im tempted but I love the bike so much and it is a green sticker,last year that you will find with it.03 and up is all red sticker.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Faded said:
MTK, what are you waiting for? :yeehaw:

The time to pull the top end off of the CR.... :)

Since it looks like I got ripped off on my 500 engine, the 250 is now on the front burner for sure. I was going to do it this week, but it is supposed to be 52F on Saturday so I might get in a New Year's Day ride. We'll see.

But once the weekend is over, the top end comes off and goes in a box with the new Pro-X piston and gets sent off to Mr. Gorr. :cool:

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
Im going to.I was thinking of dumping some of the money into my wifes ktm.They make an awsome 400 kit for it and to do the suspension,her bike would be killer.

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
I would recommend the 265 kit from Eric. I did mine last winter and havent looked back yet. It's got alot more wheel spin in loose conditions but overall i havent had another 2 stroke out pull me. To make the stock bike competetive you have to run it like a 125, it performs really well like that, but it tires you out and jetting is critical. 10 deg will make big loss in top end. The 265 helped alot with roll on, you cant give it as much gas as stock in loose conditions out of corners, but its faster. It made jetting more consistant i didnt have to change the needle and pilot as often this year. The only other things iv'e done and recommend is a v-force reed cage, which helped alot with bottom to mid. Also i installed a nology spark plug wire and non-resistor plug, which helped alot with throttle response. This actually made the bike idle so much higher that i had to adjust it, and it almost seems the bike wants to rev before you turn the throttle. For 36.00 i could'nt believe it.

rcpilot_971

Oct 30, 2002
R1driver said:
Hi All, took the plunge ,bought another dirt bike after ten years out of the sport.
I just picked up a nice 02 CR 250, for 1800.00 (gatta luv those winter, it's gatta go prices).The bike is stock, other then a fresh top end, fresh rubber,aftermarket alluminium. radiator mounts, alluminum. throttle tube, DEP pipe and silencer, and the airbox mod to fix for leakage.
My last CR was a 93(Best bike I ever owned-but thats another story entirely), so of course this thing felt like a rocket after ten years of riding nothing other than a friends xr400(his invitation to go riding that xr was what got my blood boiling again-I did ride a 03 crf450 at the MX track we were riding at that day ,but I just am not sold on the 4-stroke mx bikes,not as fun to ride(my opinion only)).
Ok- I've found this bike,at a price I thought I couldn't pass up,got her down in the basement tearing it down for inspection/maintenance- not going to Ice race this first winter-taking my time getting her set up for the upcoming season.
I belive the jetting thing on these has been hashed out-read plenty on this-going with the s8 nozzle and so on(mine actually seemed to carburate pretty well).
So far I've ordered both 49, and 50 tooth sprockets,got a new plastic/seat cover/graphics set on the way, and am considering going with Mr. Gores Mo- Better port and head mods.
The bike has a DEP pipe and silencer on it, any one out there have any feedback they can offer on this?
Is a aftermarket reed, or reedcage a good thing on this model?
If so wich brand?
Most importantly- anyone out there with a 02 CR250 have the mo-better mods, what do you think? was it worth it?
This bike has a fresh top end on it, so sending it out seems,well you know????
Thanks all who take the time to answer in advance.
One happy forty year old thats happy to get back in the dirt.

Im in the same boat I also bought a 02 CR250. I also have been out of the sport for about 10 years. I bought a quad TRX 450HR three months ago thinking I was to old for mx but the quad didn't do much for me. so I boght a 02 CR250 still had stock tires and sprockets and chain. came with a FMF fatty pipe V force reedcage.renthal twinwall it runs ok I have only been able to ride it for 20 min Im 40 years old and too out of shape to ride it hard. seems like a fast bike or Im just to old and the bikes now have a lot more power than the older bikes. the last bike I had was a 94 KX250 if it ever stops raining out hear in california I could ride it some more I have read that the PWK works great on the 02 I may have to get one of those

Tim

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
R1driver said:
Then that night I found two 01 rm250's one at 1800.00 the other at 1599.00 OBO.

Where are these RM's for that price, i'll buy both of them :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom