jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I just got the word that I have been assigned to a new project and I am on the road again. :flame:

I leave Sunday for London. This is only 2 weeks after returning from 2.5 months in Malaysia (with no fly-backs). Now they are telling me to be prepared to be gone until the 23rd of Dec. as I will be flying to Prague, Basel, and maybe Phoenix while being "based" in the UK during this engagement. I get to come home on the 23rd or 24th, but by Jan. 5, I am back on the road to finish the gig.

Don't get me wrong... I am glad to have a job.

However....

I need a new job ASAP!!! This sheeyott is cutting into my riding time and what little life I have left.

-jeffd

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've got the same gig as you. I'll be in London from next monday till the 20th and then back again two weeks later for some more. No end in sight for this...this will go on until spring.

At least I'll get some good skiing in in France!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hopefully you won't have to worry about the purple future monkeys on their robot horses in London.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
At least you get to go to some pretty cool places. I'm on the road a lot(~1-2weeks amonth), but it is always somewhere boring. I won't say where. Don't want to offend anyone.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For those who haven't traveled extensively for work:

1) Hotel rooms all look the same.
2) Offices all look the same
3) Taxi's all look the same
4) Eating out all the time SUCKS
5) Airports all look the same.
6) The highway between the office and the hotel, all look the same.
7) The business dinners are all the same.
8) The client's asses are all the same.

Unless you are given a lot of free time to explore (yeah, they wanna pay for you to have a life)... it's all the freaking same. You can be anywhere and not know the difference.

You DO know its NOT home.

I feel for ya Jeff.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan

Eating out ALONE really sucks!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Okiewan
For those who haven't traveled extensively for work:

1) Hotel rooms all look the same.
2) Offices all look the same
3) Taxi's all look the same
5) Airports all look the same.
6) The highway between the office and the hotel, all look the same.
7) The business dinners are all the same.
8) The client's asses are all the same.

Unless you are given a lot of free time to explore (yeah, they wanna pay for you to have a life)... it's all the freaking same. You can be anywhere and not know the difference.

You DO know its NOT home.

I feel for ya Jeff.

Okie your right, but I will trade Port Arthur Texas for Europe anytime. :laugh:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I don't care where you are traveling to...if its work its hard. I travel a lot, and yes, I travel to some cool places too, but sorry folks,....having to travel is totally different from wanting to travel.... Sure, it sounds great, London, France, South America, Cleveland;) As Okie said, hotel rooms all look the same.....
On that note, I am leaving on Tuesday for another trip. I will however, have lots of time off after that, so that makes up a little for the hectic travel schedule.
Jeff, good luck. What do you do? Travel save.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Wolf
I don't care where you are traveling to...if its work its hard.

It is hard to travel anymore even if it is a vacation!

Any vacation that is ... except a DirtWeek vacation :yeehaw:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
What do I do??? I am a hi-tech whore being pimped by the man. I am a consultant, so I go where the work is and where/when the client dictates. Yes - I get to see some cool places, but it is only while I am not working which is 80% of the time.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I am a hi-tech whore being pimped by the man.

EXACTLY. I'm in the same boat. Usually working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, finish, pack and off to the next job.

I don't work OT when I'm in the home office, and I have 538 OT hours so far this year (2495ork hours to date)

PS - The don't usually put generating stations in vacation destinations.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Dang Jeff, bummer. Well, you know where to find us!!

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Neil Wig

(2495ork hours to date)

That's pretty good. I was just over 2300 hours at the end of November, 60% of them on the road. Funny when I started this job they said travel was 10 to 15% of my time!?

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Well, I must confess, I like the site work. Usually, everyone has the same goals in mind, and work toward solving them, with a minimum of BS and politicking (goat poking). There are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, it's challenging and entertaining at the same time...as long as the job doesn't go to hell in a handbasket.

Getting doubletime for all OT helps too ;P

Top Bottom