Mixxer

Mar 5, 2009
Looking to buy a used dirtbike, need some help and advice to make sure I get the right one. Lets get the checklist out of the way first:

1) your physical size
5"10, 195
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Pretty strong, decently aggressive rider, like to push myself, no putt putting around
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly singletrack, woods, logging roads, gravel pits etc. would like to try a few days at the track for kicks but not looking to race
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Rode almost daily in highschool, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, racers, enduros, dualsports. Riding a ZX6R on the street now.
5) Do you think you will race ?
No, (see 3)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Gotta be a 2 stroke. No real brand preference.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Pretty well everything, big four, KTM, Husky and more.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Two to three thousand Canadian
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Would like to get a 250 2 stroke (CR, YZ etc.) or something similar. I've been looking at the ktm exc line as well which seems interesting.

My budget will likely limit me to bikes 5 - 10 years old, so I'm most interested in early 2000s (ish).

Looking for any recommendations for a bike that might suit my needs. Also looking for info on what model years to look for, the ones that got a significant improvement in some area, or years that had problems that I should avoid.

Thanks for any help you can give :cool:

Mar 18, 2006
Nobody answered, so I will. It looks like you have it mostly figured out already. A 250 2-stroke makes a good all-around bike. Just buy the newest one you can find in the best condition(emphasize "best condition"). Don't worry too much about color. The machinery is all pretty good. Don't overlook dealer's showrooms. Sometimes good deals can be had. Look on the dirtbiking club websites for used racebikes. They might be set-up real good from a knowledgable owner.

good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom