Corson

Aug 3, 2009
Hey, Im not even sure if this is a problem but I had the wheel bearings replaced on my cr85 about a month ago, and I tightened the chain today and when i was done i realized i could move the back wheel from side to side the slightest bit. I thought I read somewhere that if theres any movement that you need new bearings. So Im just wondering if the wheel can move the tiniest bit its Alright.

Thanks

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I had a 2002 cr80 and the back wheel was tight after I replaced the wheel bearings in the rear. Did you replace the sleeve in between the bearings or just the bearings.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
you have to take the wheel off and find out whats loose and repair, it will only get worse and damage other components.....brakes, chain guide, etc.

check the bearing retainer

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
all good suggestions.

Also if you do not grease new bearings, they wont last! Remove the rubber seals and pack them with grease

But inspect the spacers and the center sleeve also.

check for loose spokes also

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't remove the rubber seal if you bought sealed bearings as they come pre-greased and doing so will only let ware & grit in faster.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Patman said:
Don't remove the rubber seal if you bought sealed bearings as they come pre-greased and doing so will only let ware & grit in faster.

Err, if you have ever taken the seal off, you'd know there's hardly any grease in them when new.

I just did wheel bearings in my flat tracker, the new bearings were bone dry on one side and hardly any grease on the other.

They would have been junk in no time if I hadn't opened them.

Just make sure you replace the seal when you have them packed with grease.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have to side with Patman on the sealed bearings...I have opened them up in the past and yes, they were greased, and no, once I replaced the seal it wasn't a good seal anymore. Additionally, grease or no grease, this should not have anything to do with the play in the rear wheel...something is definitely wrong there.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
they dont have a lot of grease in them for a reason. my unmodified sealed bearings lasted 5years, maybe im lucky. they probably didnt have alot of grease in them either. i know theres quite a few machines at work you have to meter the grease on a tight lubrication timetable as overgreasing will cause the seals to fail

Top Bottom