Backfire when starting

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
I have a 00 YZ 250 that is difficult to start. It usually takes 5 to 10 kicks when cold, but when hot--it really varies, sometimes it will start right up, sometimes it will take a few minutes. I haven't been able track this down yet, so I figured that I would start with one of the cold starting symptoms.

I usually kick it over a few times, and then it will backfire, but then will start within a couple of more kicks. What can be some of the cuases for the backfire? Also, it will sometimes do this when starting it warm. Any ideas about the backfire??

Thanks,
Bill

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
causes of backfire
ignition timing
bad reeds
jrtting way off (usually rich)
blue bike color ( red will make it start soooooo easy:) )

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Thanks yardpro!

I'll have to check the timing, I haven't played with that yet.

The reeds are like new (they should be, they are almost new).

I know that the jetting is not rich--I've done a lot of work with the jetting and the bike runs great, it's just gettin it started that's no fun. Rich jetting is probably the only thing that I'm sure that I don't have :)

My friends keep telling me that I should get one of those easy starting 4 strokes--Honda of course :D

Another question. Is it normal for the reeds to be wet with fuel when they're pulled?

Anything elst that you can think to check?
Thanks again.
Bill

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
if your reeds are wet it sure sounds like you're getting too much fuel. could your pilot be off, or your air screw?
a weak ignition can also cause the same problem.
one last question. sorry it this is too basic of a question, but are you applying any throttle when kicking? The normal starting drill is choke no throttle.
oh yes, the float may be sticking, or the float needle seat, or the matching viton tip could be bad. I had a friend who had a bad float that caused the carb to massevlt flood. the bike was a beast to start. once it was running the bike ran like a champ.
hope any of this helps, especially the suggestion about the red bikes:) :)

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Thanks again! The pilot is definitely fine. That's what I spent the most time experimenting with and it's fine--great throttle response.

I don't give any gas when starting when cold. When warm, I've tried all kinds of different combos.

I checked the float, but it seemed fine to me and the needle did not seem to be sticking. How do I tell if the viton tip is bad? I'll have somebody check the float and needle as a double-check :D

I've checked the ignition and the stator seems to be fine. The only thing that was slightly out of spec was the ignition coil. It was supposed to have a resistance of 0.2 to 0.3 and I had 0.4.

This thing just has me stumped. That's why I figured I would try to see what might cause a backfire and start there.

Thanks again for the help--if you know of somebody who wants to swap a red bike for a blue one--just let me know ;)

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
I've checked the ignition and the stator seems to be fine. The only thing that was slightly out of spec was the ignition coil. It was supposed to have a resistance of 0.2 to 0.3 and I had 0.4.

that's probably the answer

sounds like you've eliminated all the other possible culprits.

if you want to check the fuel shutoff you'll need to remove the bottom of the carb (or the whole thing if necessary). hool up the fuel line and turn the fuel valve on (the editor will not let you say pet****). lift the floats until they are parallel with the side of the carb ( the edge where the bottom meets the top). the fuel flow should stop. it may go a little past parallel, but too much and the bike is proably flooding.
If your stator readings were out of the specs, you probavly have a bad coil which would definately cause the problem.
good luck
the blue ones aren't that bad, at least it's not yellow or green.:)

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Heres a solution that might be your problem. I had a similar problem at work the other day on a learjet. Customer complained of intermittent thrust reversers. Turns out it was a squat switch that had bad resistance readings and when it got cold, resistance changed drastically. Electrical components dont like the elements and start to go crazy. Take your coil and let it get warm. You could put it in front of your car heater vent for about ten minutes or so. Check the resistance. Take it and put it in the freezer and let it cold soak for 20-30 minutes or spray it with a can of freeze it while watching the meter. That coil may be on the verge of taking a crap. Once it gets some heat in it, then it may work. I know this may sound like bs, but trust me. Another possibility is timing. If you checked it visually check it again by pulling off the flywheel and inspecting the Woodruff key on the crank. It may have broken or started to shear. You should really suspect this if you or someone else has had the flywheel off in the past. hope this helps

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…