Backyard Nightmare

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
this is one hell of a story, glad you are working things out - good luck on the forthcoming enterprise :thumb:

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Been a crazy ordeal...neighbor just yelled at me again for riding a stock XR50...thought this was over with...guess not...maybe should show them what a real MX Track looks like and rebuild it to cover the whole backyard not just a 1 acre section...being the nice guy isn't workin...do I become a JERK now???

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Maybe we dont need to get specific, but what does your neighbor say to you?
--"put that bike away!, or that loud @$#* bike?, etc..." or does he cuss you out?
seems pretty shatty to me...

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by zcookie49
....what does your neighbor say to you?
--"put that bike away!, or that loud @$#* bike?, etc..." or does he cuss you out?
seems pretty shatty to me...

What he says is "You should not be riding that @$#* thing back there and if you don't quit, I'm goin to call the police!!" I politely told him to go ahead and call the police. This is the neighbor that has a vinyl fence between him and me...it has been raining here so there is no dust...and it is a Stock XR50 for hecks sake, so there is no more noise than a lawn mower and definately not as loud as his snowblower is going to be... Last time the police were here to see our dog that was shot by a neighbor, the officer told me "get out your sleds and ride them back there...there won't be any dust(laughing)." Coincidentaly the officers that have been here ride sleds, ATV, and a YZF426...needless to say I love the Layton City Officers I have delt with.

Think I have enough to throw a Civil Harassment Lawsuit on him yet?

Thanx
-dc

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
IMO Just do what ya do and let them spend the coin if they wanna sue you.

Shooting your dog was crazy, can you prove who did it? A year or so ago when I was building my FAL .308 battle rifle in the garage some of my neighbors stopped by and had to see what I was doing. They'd never consider having a confrontation with the "crazy" man who was building a rifle in his garage. ;)

Another option would be to kill 'em with kindness. I always make sure to walk across the street with a couple beers to share every now and again, or bring back their dog that digs under the fence, remind them to close their garage at night, help 'em w/ yardwork, bitch about the HOA, etc. I go for a weekly ride around the block with my son on my loud CR500. I'm waved to, and smiled at routinely now.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I wish you had a helmet cam. Not only would it be fun to watch, it would be great to have in that civil harrassment case you mentioned.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by Daisycutter
IMO Just do what ya do and let them spend the coin if they wanna sue you.

Shooting your dog was crazy, can you prove who did it? A year or so ago when I was building my FAL .308 battle rifle in the garage some of my neighbors stopped by and had to see what I was doing. They'd never consider having a confrontation with the "crazy" man who was building a rifle in his garage. ;)

Another option would be to kill 'em with kindness. I always make sure to walk across the street with a couple beers to share every now and again, or bring back their dog that digs under the fence, remind them to close their garage at night, help 'em w/ yardwork, bitch about the HOA, etc. I go for a weekly ride around the block with my son on my loud CR500. I'm waved to, and smiled at routinely now.

Have tried the Kindness Route since the begining and remember the sayin "Nice Guys Finish Last", think that is true in this neighborhood...the one neighbor was bitchin about the dust when I took down the Rythem section that is 20 ft from the fence line...I told him " you complain about the track..now you are complaining about the dust while I'm takin part of it down...I'll tell u what I'm goin to do, I'm goin to build a track twice as big as it is now and put in a gate...invite all the Riders I know and hold a race...How would you like that?" He had a puzzled look on his face and then replied "I'm sorry about complaining..." He hasn't been complaining much since then. Funny how being a Jerk gets you further with these people than being polite...Just the opposite of how it should be...But I'm done Showering them with kindness...I have bent over backwards to be polite...Now I'm Done!!!! They want a war...that is what they are going to get...I have been pushed past the limits any person would put up with...I will not be pushed by them anymore...I will put up a fight...

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
yup, neighbors can be total pricks I get away with my backyard riding on my CR250 but my buddy always has to deal with this neighbor complaining about his 4-stroke kawi. Kicked my buddies dog and told his kids to F off so I took the liberty of pulling a wheelie on the hood of his BMW before he moved back to california.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
you should serouisly nail the prick that shot your dog with a lawsuit that is total bull man. Keep riding and fighting fire with fire with jerks can go a long way at times. Cops in my area are pretty cool about dirt bikes too. RIDE ON

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The person that shot the dog "shot" off his mouth by braging about it. Somebody last night instant messeged me and asked me a few questions about our dog and everything that has happened. She told me about the person that hangs out with her husband was showing off his gun and the silencer to them and told them about shooting a dog in layton. The rest of the info i will release after he is arrested, since the police asked me to not release certain facts that prove beyond a doubt that he is the shooter. Thank God for the Internet and ability to post in forums like this and luckily someone read a post I had on a news website and contacted me.

HANG HIM!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I agree with the statement that people with a lot of time on their hands are the first to complain.

I have had my fair share with upset neighbors over absolutely nothing.

Just the other day the neighbor two doors down comes to my house and starts chewing me out hardcore because we took the sputtering RMX250 up the street once. This was at 3:00 P.M. on a Friday... The RMX has a quiet S/A silencer, and the bike wouldn't even rev above 3,500 RPMs it was running so badly!!! The lady didn't even ask nicely. She came walking into my backyard and started chewing us out. She has also yelled at my friend before for firing up his KX to warm it up before he changed the oil.

I try to do everything in my power to not anger my neighbors. I don't ride bikes up the street past 8:00 P.M. When I do ride, I keep it low RPMs and low throttle so that I don't make a fuss. And then I keep it to a once or twice up and down maximum. What makes it worse is that this lady goes to my church and I have frequently helped her and her husband start lawn mowers work on them ETC. I think that it is ridiculous the way that she just comes into my back yard and starts ripping on me and my friend. I can guarantee that if it was my father there, she wouldn't say a word. And if she did my father would have a word with her (nice of course!).

I think that some peoples complaints are ridiculous. They need to get a life, but some complaints are legit.

Dave, do you happen to be by chance the guy with the Suzuki RM250 Pro-Circuit that is frequently at Jordan River?

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by Studboy
I agree with the statement that people with a lot of time on their hands are the first to complain.

I have had my fair share with upset neighbors over absolutely nothing......I think that some peoples complaints are ridiculous. They need to get a life, but some complaints are legit.

Dave, do you happen to be by chance the guy with the Suzuki RM250 Pro-Circuit that is frequently at Jordan River?

Yah, That is me...Ride Jordan River alot when it is open...just back from the dunes....lets ride!!!! Crapo@extrememotosports.com

I went to church under the advice of another backyard track owner....you should have seen some of the neighbors faces...it was worth it just for that look.. Maybe they were embarrassed....after the meeting it was like a zoo, everyone introducing themselves and asking me my version...not the version the neighbors tell...funny in how everything gets so distorted from the truth...they told people & media we were having multiple riders creating huge dust clouds, urinating & deficating in public (don't think the inbread person knew what that word meant). Now most the time I rode the RM in the backyard it was for the Media...Look at the News footage there is no dust cloud from riding a 250 back there.

The last time they called Police and complained about stock 50's...HOW MUCH DUST CAN Stock XR50's CREATE WITH 2 RIDERS AFTER WATERING??? This is the multiple riders they complained about, but didn't tell the Mayor we were on XR50's...So we brought one in to the city council meeting to show them what the last complaint was about...Mayor told us in not so few of words to "How much fun can it be to ride a little 50? I think you are all too old and big to ride them and have fun...." You can get a copy of everything he has said on public record from Layton City in transcript form. It is entertaining to see how much of an _ _s some people make of themselves at these meetings....

-dc

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode
I agree with Patman. I'm real sorry to hear about your dog and think what is going on with your land sux.

However, I disagree with the concert. It is really nice of those that helped but in reality if your luxuries prevent you from affording your responsibilities then you need to cut back on some things.

Ivan

He did say that the vet "donated" his time...he didn't say that the collectors were calling him for the vet and he wasn't paying. Maybe the vet is a nice guy like some of the people we know.

Bunch of busybodies!!! :uh: :moon: (I didn't quote Patman...but that is for you too :confused: )

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
But neighbors say linking the shooting of the dog and dispute they have had with Crapo over the noise and dust generated from his motocross track is "absurd."

"I can"t imagine how the two could be related," said neighbor Sandy Flower.
Sandy Flower is a brilliant woman :think:

Mayor Jerry Stevenson on more than one occasion has told Crapo that the motorcycle noise would bother him, too, and he recommended Crapo find another place to ride.

"I"m the kind of guy, that it irritates me when my wife vacuums," Stevenson said.
This guy needs to lighten up a bit too :|

Last edited:

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by James

But neighbors say linking the shooting of the dog and dispute they have had with Crapo over the noise and dust generated from his motocross track is "absurd."

"I can"t imagine how the two could be related," said neighbor Sandy Flower.

This is what happens when inbreading goes out of control...Lets see...Dead End Subdivision...dog shot...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out...nevermind the recording the police have of a neighbor calling in and asking if it was ok to shot Jazzy a few nights before she was shot...what a F#%$ Idiot, tell me, why haven't they arrested him...Detective says not enough evidence...WTF...last time I talked to him he said someone says a door to door salesman shot her...HAVE YOU EVER HAD A DOOR TO DOOR SALESMAN AT YOUR HOUSE AT 2AM??? Sounds like BS to me...

-dc

rideYZ

Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by extrememoto

This is what happens when inbreading goes out of control...Lets see...Dead End Subdivision...dog shot...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out...nevermind the recording the police have of a neighbor calling in and asking if it was ok to shot Jazzy a few nights before she was shot...what a F#%$ Idiot, tell me, why haven't they arrested him...Detective says not enough evidence...WTF...last time I talked to him he said someone says a door to door salesman shot her...HAVE YOU EVER HAD A DOOR TO DOOR SALESMAN AT YOUR HOUSE AT 2AM??? Sounds like BS to me...

Heard second hand from someone that lives down the street from you that one of the neighbors told him "he wished he had killed the dog." I told the police, but they told me it was not admissable.

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
To bad you moved back to Kansas, would be fun to hit the tracks again with ya. Next time your around drop me a line and we will ride.

We are going to release a MX Video about the backyard in the Spring, shows the construction, ride, wrecks and bunch of people having a good time. Will also have the News Footage incorporated into the video.

Need peoples advice for a name...the top of the list is "There Goes The Neighborhood" open for any suggestions from Dirtrider.net Members and will invite the winner to the Premier in Salt Lake City this spring...

Briggsracing

Mod Ban
Nov 4, 2003
Hey extreme, Im over here in Michigan having similar problems as you with a backyard track. Ive rode out there for 10yrs (BTW im 16) and my dad has ridin longer. Some clown just bought land behind my track that really isnt very big. When he moved in a while ago he knew it was there and now that hes in he doesnt bother calling the police he harasses me instead. My dad went to his door and took care of that.Anyway i checked out your site and saw your track, since we are going to construct one in the spring, I really like the looks of yours and you say your putting out a video that shows the construction of it? I would like to get my hands on it to see the correct way to build a nice arena cross type track. If you have any info on other sources to educate myself and my dad about building a track it would be greatly appreciated! BTW we checked into all the ordinances and were clear to construct...

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Briggsracing...took some specs from the supercross program and found the obstacles that I wanted to practice and have...it gives you the height of the jump face and landings, then had a friend that races SX/MX come over to the house and he suggested the layout and we went to town with a CAT966. Before that weekend the only heavy equiptment I had used before was a military industrial "forklift" (looks live a front end loader with forks). If your dad wants, I can design the track for you. Just need the backyard specs and the obstacles you would prefer and your riding level, to make it "safe" and we are willing to fly out to help you build it. We have built quite a few tracks in UT.

Crapo@extrememotosports.com
801.675.2RIDE
------ (2743)

Briggsracing

Mod Ban
Nov 4, 2003
Extreme...thanks alot for the offer to design for us! We may have to take you up on that sometime. Were still deciding what type of track we would like to model it after. We have a decent amount of land to work with about 8 acres or a little mor of open field. Were still debating the idea and my dad and I are still in the convincing process of my mom. lol She's pretty much all for it though, my dad also is going to go around to neighboring houses and see how they feel about it. Which, we have rode out ther for a long time but we want to be considerate from the start. Once we have the clear to go ill hit you with an e-mail with details of what we got to work with and how big were gonna go. We mainly want to have a professionally designed track and my dad operates heavy equipment on occasion so the acual building part It think between my neighbor with a dozer loader and dump track we can pretty much handle that but we would like to find a nice design. Ill talk to my dad about what exactly we want to model it after and ill hit ya back! Thanks alot and good luck with your situation!

motoqueen

Dec 19, 2003
I think that what they did to you is Edited by Moderator I do understand that noise & dust is a problem, but you were willing to work on that...I don't think that it is fair that people can tell you what to do with your property, but I guess they can.
I do have a track, but it is farther enough away from the houses not to be a problem....but it might be a golf course out there soon, I guess that I am kinda out of luck too!
So, now that you don't have a "motocross track" out there now...can you ride on the flat?? Practice your starts? I would face by back tire right towards the houses & LIGHT EM UP! haha....Good luck!

extrememoto

Oct 22, 2003
Last week we had a massive snow storm here, so fired up the 190 hp race sled and tore it up on the backyard obstacles. It was killer...and after a hour the police had not showed up, guess the neighbors are goin to back off, since the sled is 3 times as loud as a MX Bike. Have to get some pics, Sled hitting a huge double...

Top Bottom