s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
I have taken my '91 kdx 250 out twice now since I bought it. On the second trip, my clutch would make a grinding type of noise sometimes when letting out the clutch lever.

It usually happened when starting out (when the clutch is under the most stress) and sounded similar to when you jam a stickshift car. My dad (225 lbs) said that he thinks the clutch may have been slipping when he was riding it.

I just got my manual yesterday and it says to run either 10-30 or 10-40. Ive been running maxima mtl fluid 85wt. but i dont think that would hurt it. A lot of people run it. When i bought the bike, i did an oil change and what was in it had a ton of what i think is clutch dust in it.

My questions are: Is the noise because of worn clutch discs? I hpe so. Id hate to have to buy a clutch basket. BIG $$$

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
my dad thought that the springs may be worn and that may have something to do with it, but neither of us really know.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I understand how a clutch works, basically, like a disk brake, rxcept backwards. A solution for me, that I would check... would be that mabey the grip[per stuff that grabbs then you let off the clutch is gone, and mabey its metal to metal. Im nto sure of it, but it might be a possible solution.

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
okay, I just pulled the clutch plates out and measured them. My book says for the friction plates: STANDARD: 2.92~3.08mm SERVICE LIMIT: 2.7mm
I measured between 2.94-2.96 on mine
For the clutch plates it says: STANDARD: 1.46~1.74 SERV. LIMIT: 1.3mm
I measured 1.54-1.55

Since the plates arent outside the service limit, the problem probably isnt them, right? Should I replace them anyway since they are kind of worn?

Twiztid One...I havent had a chance to check the clutch basket for grooves, but I will tomorrow.

Any advice on the plates is appreciated....

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
You really didn't say under what conditions you were letting out the clutch --fast ? slow? level ground? KDX 200 & 220 clutches have pretty weak clutch springs and if you let out the clutch when the bike is stuck, or on a steep hill, the clutch will slip and it sounds horrible. Your springs could be weak & slipping.

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
thanks Rob. My bikes a '91 kdx250. I think the first time I heard the noise I was stuck on a sand dune. I haven't checked the spring measurement to see if they've compressed over the years, but i'll see if I have time tonight.

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
i just measured the springs. The manual says that STANDARD=38.7mm and SERVICE LIMIT=37.2mm. Mine were 37.8mm so I guess they are alright. I think i'll put some washers under them to stiffen them up. Hopefully that will help. Thanks for everyones input.

MattXR250R

Oct 21, 2002
The washers will stiffen them up but will only last a SHORT time. Replace the springs now while you have the cover off.there not that expensive. If you just shim the springs with washers you will be back in there in no time replacing the springs.

Top Bottom