dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Oh, I cannot stand my dial-up.. first time, I wrote all this it conked out! :think: :| So here goes again. After 15 mins of frustration!

We fixed the bad water pump since we found coolant in the oil and then went for another ride. It is still using coolant. Too much coolant. Almost a reservoir full on a decent all dayer. Anyway, when it gets hot it has some trouble idling too.. I'm thinking this is when the coolant is entering the combustion chamber. At any rate, when we pulled the head off today the oil on the top of the piston and in the chamber was easily wiped away; and it left a really clean track from the edge of the piston to the center of the piston. Is this a sign the problem and its location. Also, while using a straightedge, the head and deck seem good and met the .002 clearance max. If this is my problem, are not all gaskets created equal? Thanks!

Attachments

• KDXLeak.jpg
    KDXLeak.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 990

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
if your finding it in the cylinder then its a bad head gasket (or a really bad scratch in the head/cylinder mating surface) put a new head gasket on coated in PERMATEX sealant (blue can comes out red) make sure its torqued down correctly.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Is it just me or is that burn pattern on the piston head interesting? Looks to me like some coolant might be entering into the cylinder at about 9:00 in the photo. Almost seems a little too clean, like it is being washed in that area.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
keithb7 said:
Is it just me or is that burn pattern on the piston head interesting? Looks to me like some coolant might be entering into the cylinder at about 9:00 in the photo. Almost seems a little too clean, like it is being washed in that area.

That's what I'm talking about... a little too clean there.

The mating surfaces look to be in excellent shape. To be honest, I was hoping to find a warped head, but no luck. Which, in reality, is a good thing. At this point I hope its just an inferior gasket and maybe improper torque technique. I'm going by the Kawa shop today to get a factory gasket.

Anybody else suggest permatex or other gasket compound for "extra protection"?

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I just bought the bike and supposedly the top end was just done by some school.... that may be the problem. :) Maybe not. I can tell you that I have never noticed any white smoke or even smelt antifreeze. However, I have have noticed bubbles in the radiator.. but small ones, like foaming. Being new to liquid cooled two strokes, this is pretty new to me. So, I cannot say if what I see is normal. Every other toy has been air cooled. The motor has good compression hot and cold. I think there is only one way to install the gasket as the locator dowels prohibit from going on upside down. The book dictates only 18 ft lbs on the head. I'm going to put some anti-seize on the studs and torque it down evenly. I hope that takes care of it. If the idle straightens out, and the loss of coolant stops, I'll be sure to post.

Anybody else?

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
On my head gaskets, I use a very thin layer of copper spray-a-gasket. But with no smoke or smell...I'd go back through that water pump. Maybe a bent impeller shaft...?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
You said that you were still using coolant. If it isin't in the oil, are you sure that it isin't being puked out the overflow?

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
tony91 said:
On my head gaskets, I use a very thin layer of copper spray-a-gasket. But with no smoke or smell...I'd go back through that water pump. Maybe a bent impeller shaft...?

No puking out the overflow. But I think Tony 91 may have struck a nerve here. The first time I did a water pump it was on my friends KDX. I'm mechanically inclined and can follow a manual. So, I did his so I could have some seat time on a bike before I bought one (since a teenager). Anyway, the side cover went right on with his, but mine, it was a different story. I had to slide the impellar shaft about halfway out before I could get everything to line up and come together. When we drain the oil today, I'll see if there is water in the oil and replace the shaft if there is. What you said Tony91 is REALLY starting to make sense as with the first ride, it seemed to be all good. And then it went back to the "normal" or shall a I say "Abbie Normal". :)

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
No oil in the water! Whew! I really didn't want to replace that seal again. Right now, I'm waiting on a headgasket from the dealer. I hope we can ride this weekend we have killed two birds with one stone. (I'm suprised that saying hasn't been outlawed by PITA! :laugh: ) Anti-freeze loss and poor idle when hot.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
How are you measuirng the coolant loss?

It if is because the KDX reservoir is going empty, you should be aware that the coolant in the reservior tank sloshes out the overflow tube on rough trails.

Rough idle when hot - does adjusting the airscrew cure it?

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
How are you measuirng the coolant loss?

It if is because the KDX reservoir is going empty, you should be aware that the coolant in the reservior tank sloshes out the overflow tube on rough trails.

Rough idle when hot - does adjusting the airscrew cure it?

Yes, I'm measuring coolant loss by the reservior. I asked a friend if it was possible to loose antifreeze from the reservior and he didn't think so. Imagine this: We have just switched to dirtbikes. Now can you imagine how often the bike has been on its side? :) I hope you are right.

To be honest, I have not tried adjusting it when hot. Good idea. Sometimes I am not Capt. Obvious. :think: I'll try that too. Maybe thats all it was all the time for the idle! I'll post back and let you know.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Idle is Right On now!

I think the head gasket was to blame for some of my coolant loss. The KDX idles great now all the time! :) :) :) But, I didn't get the top hose tight enough and we had a minor leak for todays ride. So, another ride will have to be made to prove if I have other problems or not. (Waterpump shaft/seal.) When we were replacing the clutch basket we did find some water in the oil... perhaps from the pressure washer? Anyway, the bike is coming together.... its just Slllllloooooooowwwww!

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Another ride and the water and idle are great! I think we got this problem whipped now. Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom