1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Took a look at my reeds the other day, and they look pretty warped. It's the Vforce Delta origional setup, tried flippin them around but they are pretty shot. How much of an effect do they have on the bike running? My bike has been running like its extremely rich for awhile, and wont rev. This is last possible thing it can be I hope as I've replaced everything!

33nuw7k.jpg

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
I had the reeds not sealing properly in past.(mine had chipped corner only)
Effects for me:, bike was running very rich, really hard to start. I could not let the rev go slow/idle or the engine stopped.

The engine could still pull once it had some rev going.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I also noticed that there is a gasket infront the reed block where it bolts to the cylinder, but there was none behind where the reed block mated with the intake manifold. There is supposed to be one there, but never was so I'm wondering if I should put one on (its a plastic to rubber mating surface).

Pretty much the entire reed surface on the inside reeds doesn't seal!

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
you will see day light with the vforces!Thats just how they are made.I have a pair in my CR.I will admit i disliked them ALOT before i got this bike fine tuned now all i do is recommend them it will take time before you find the sweet spot.You must understand these Vforces are WAYYY different from stock.What i did was drop the main jet down 3 and the pilot jet down 1.Then needle valve setting is at 2 with the air screw at 1.5 turns from in.Hows it run?I have a couple of videos of the bike Before i fined tune it.If you need help i will be glad to insist you!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Really? Everyone said they should be completely sealed otherwise there is air pushing back out through the carb and causing it to suck in more fuel and have an erratic a/f ratio. I've replaced the top end, top end gaskets, crank seals, stator, cleaned the carb, and set the float level... The bike used to run right, and the motor was built/tuned by performance engineering here in FL origionally. Nothing has changed on it besides freshing things up, so I have my fingers crossed its the reeds!

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
By everyone does that mean the makers of vforce?Because if you call up the customer support they will tell you the exact samething.Sounds like you did everything but jet it.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hmm weird, i spoke to someone there and they said the reeds should be sealed & flush against the cage seeing there should be tension on them... The bike was jetted before and I haven't changed any mods, just freshened up the top end and put new seals in. I've had at least 4 threads with everyone helping me out on this bike, I feel like ive learned more then I would have in mechanics school lol!

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
If the edges are starting to fray, change them. Most motors don't like a carbon-fiber diet. Sure to give it a bad case of scatter ass :whoa:

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
The reed does need to seal properly to the reed cage.
If they are chipped they must be changed.
I also use lock-tile on the reed screw so they dont come loose in the engine.

The reed cage need to seal with the intake. Otherwise you get a air leak and the bike will rev on its own.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well the current reeds aren't chipped or anything, and I called Vforce again and there should be a certain clearance for how the reeds are seated on the reed block, origionalrider was right. Well my new petals come in today, and I'm not sure what to expect. I had a local shop set my float level to 6.5mm and check the carb out, and it's all going back togather today. If it's not this Idk what is up, everything is new and the jetting used to be right on with the same mods.

Edit: Well I got the reeds today and the petals were too small. Moto Tassinari had part # DP110-1 listed for the Vforce Delta on an 01' RM 250, but they are too small. Trying part #DP120-1 now which is the only other delta reed petal.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom