jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, I got in my 99 Silverado (the one I haul my DIRTBIKE in) the other day and when I started it, my ABS motor kicked in and wouldn't turn off -- even when I turned the ignition off. I hit it a couple times with a rubber mallet, but nothing worked. I had to unplug the fuse in order to get it to quit working. Today I took it to a repair shop and the engine diagnostic said that the "relay switch" was bad. Well, a quick call to the Chevy dealer confirmed that the relay switch could be found built into the ABS Modulator and the whole thing would need to be replaced for the princely sum of $772. A couple calls to local salvage yards turned up one modulator from out of state for $450. A quick conference with the mechanic left me with the hope that in short order I will be able to ignore and overlook the ABS and Brake warning lights on my dash -- and the ABS fuse to be tossed into the glove box. Does anyone have a wrecked Chevy out there willing to part with a modulator? I can still carry my DIRTBIKE in my truck, but am blinded by the glaring warning lights on my dash. Oh woe is me...... :(

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
My aunt recently had this happe to her 99 sierra. Cost her about $900 to fix. I have heard it is common on these models, but I am not sure. Also, she has had numerous problems with her rear differential leaking as well as window seals. I would normally insert a Ford is better than Chevy joke, but anytime someone ends up forking over big $$$ it's not funny anymore.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
No, it's not. It's very sickening. The mechanic was a champ about it. He didn't charge me anything for the diagnostic and suggested putting black electrical tape over the warning lights (all of this before I told him I couldn't pay the $772 for the part).

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I had a '99 GMC Sierra, with the lousy stock tires the ABS would always come on in the rain under heavy braking, which wasn't neccessary. It almost got me into a few rear-enders, as it would take twice the distance to get it stopped. I pulled the fuse, braking performance was much better on wet roads, and I just ignored the dash light. It took a little while to get used to, but after a bit I didn't even notice it anymore.
I ended up buying some better tires and put the fuse back in, didn't have any more problems with the ABS after that.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I've had a 98, 2k, and the current 2002 silverado. I didn't like the abs on the 2k, i always thought it was kind f'ed up. Maybe it was those junk stock tires. I agee w/you on those tires, junk junk junk!!!

Top Bottom