May 5, 2007
I went to start my bike today and noticed a water leak.I looked and it was coming out of this hole on the under side of my waterpump cover.and my manual says that means a new water pump seal and oil seal.So im gonna oreder the parts.But ive never torn into the water pump on any dirt bike.
So when i take it apart is anything gonna pop out at me?I guess i need to drain the antifreeze,what about the oil because im gonna guess theres oil behind the oil seal?
I just need to know if there are any general rules for this and if its a complicated job or not.
Im fairly mechanicaly incline,I just change the topend on my bike.Do i need any special tools for this?

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
the only way you would need an oil seal for your water pump is if youve got milky looking oil in your case. changing the oil seal will also mean you have to take off the crankcase cover which isnt fun at all!

im not 100% positive but i think most water pump covers are just meant to cover the impellar and hold in the liquid. drain the liquid then take off the cover. you could get away with some high-temp gasket sealer or you could just go for the oem part, either will work fine.

May 5, 2007
I didnt know you had to take the cover off to get to the oil seal.But my manual says replace waterpump seal and oil seal at the same time but ill wait till it goes down to now cause last time i got into the cover on a bike the kickstarter never worked again.
So the water pump seal is easy to get to and replace but the oil seal is more complicated?

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Derek...there are several threads from the last few weeks that discuss this at length. Do a site search for water pumps.

It's not hard at all, particularly if you have a manual. Might take a couple hours your first time.

Rotor

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
i looked at a microfiche of your bike... the water seal they talk about is inside your case behind the impellar but in front of your oil seal. if your seeing liquid coming out of the water pump its just a gasket, and not the actual water seal. im pretty sure that on most bikes the water seal and oil seal are just one peice unlike yours, but thats why they are telling you to replace both. if you need to replace your water and oil seal you'll have some horrible white oil in your case along with a lot less water in your radiator (i just had the pleasure of replacing mine :-P )

just go buy a new gasket or get some gasket sealer/maker, take off the cover and replace it, then screw it back on and your all done.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
snowskater101 said:
i looked at a microfiche of your bike... the water seal they talk about is inside your case behind the impellar but in front of your oil seal. if your seeing liquid coming out of the water pump its just a gasket, and not the actual water seal. im pretty sure that on most bikes the water seal and oil seal are just one peice unlike yours, but thats why they are telling you to replace both. if you need to replace your water and oil seal you'll have some horrible white oil in your case along with a lot less water in your radiator (i just had the pleasure of replacing mine :-P )

just go buy a new gasket or get some gasket sealer/maker, take off the cover and replace it, then screw it back on and your all done.

Water coming out of the weep hole is not caused by a bad gasket, it's caused by a bad seal.

If the seal is in fact a on piece, you may be able to replace it with out taking the side cover off. If you can get something on the old seal to pull it out.

If you do have to take the cover off, it's not that big of a deal. Just take your time and DONT FORCE ANYTHING. (I broke a side cover that way) If the cover doesn't seem to want to go back on, there's something not lined up right. And pressure won't make it fit.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
yeah, right hand cover isnt too bad, just buy a new gasket for the the cover, the oil and water seal, the only semi hard part is taking out/putting in the impeller shaft bearing, which you might not have to do on that bike, buy the seals, the cover gasket, and enough oil to refill your bike, and you can do it in an afternoon, just take your time like indy said, dont force anything

Top Bottom