racingwalker

Apr 7, 2005
hello i'm the "racingwalker" (aka tiffster)

I'm new here, so i want to say hello to everyone=)
Heard that a documentary about the Baja 1000 just recently came out in theaters. i checked out their website and it looks really cool, but i still haven't seen it. The guy who directed Step into Liquid is directing this movie so i think it should be good. Anyone seen this movie yet?
please let me know. thanks!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I plan on catching it this weekend ...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dana Brown is not Bruce Brown (although he is his son) and as you would expect, this movie will likely be compared to On Any Sunday.

The race footage alone is worth the cost of admission. Dana does a great job of getting the excitement of the moment across on the screen, using helicopter, fixed and race vehicle mounted cameras liberally.

There are a number of personal stories developed during the course of the movie. Mouse McCoy, J.N. Roberts, the McMillian family and others bring the event to life in a way that cannot be described. Malcolm and Larry have many minutes of screen time as well as Sal, who dreamed up the Baja 1000 and has laid the course out since the beginning of the race. Vintage footage (probably from OAS) is used to set the stage of the event, showing Steve McQueen and others from the early days of the event.

Although much of the footage focuses on the big budget classes, class 11 (stock pre 82 Beetles) gets more exposure than it has likely ever had before. Additionally a good amount of time is spent talking about how the racers continue to give back to the citizens of Baja. Malcolm and his son are promanently mentioned in the story of one village.

The motorcycle footage is absolutely jaw dropping and when you add in the trophy trucks and unlimited buggies, it is beyond description.

Would I go see it again? Hell yes, and I probably will. Will I buy the DVD when it comes out? Yes! For those of you that don't know me, let me tell you that is something, because I only go to a movie every few years because of the trash that is coming out of Hollywierd.

Dana may yet fill his dad's shoes ... Now if we could only get him to come to DirtWeek. :aj:

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Saw it saturday with my sons in Cambridge, MA with only about 10 other people. The movie was great as was the soundtrack. The opening fender cam shot from an XR hauling azz gave me chills and it stayed that way. My favorite story/scene was Andy Grider out running Campbell for a stretch with a bit pit strategy and pure heart after getting dropped off the A-Team. Campbell using the beaches trying in vain to make time on Grider was a thing of beauty. Mouse's solo run took it to the edge for sure. My boys (10 and 13) were nuts about the thundering trophy trucks.

Great that the movie emphasized that off roaders do it for their love of the outdoors and the fellowship. I hope that some of that will sink in with the general population that see it.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I saw it in Seattle on Saturday and was quite happy with it. I agree that Andy's race with Johnny Campbell was probably the best part, though seeing mouse tell the "I was 3rd overall" story every time he went into pit was pretty humorous. If you haven't seen Step Into Liquid, its a very similar style and very entertaining as well.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I had sent an email to the theatre in Raleigh that picked it up to thank them and confirm it and the person I sent it to forwarded it on to someone else at the theatre for confirmation and that guy replied something like "yeah, he's right. It's a movie about a cross-Sahara race" I thought that was pretty funny, but not surprising given that it is an "artistic" independent movie house.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Looks like I'm going to have to drive 2 hours to Nashville, TN or 3 hours to St. Louis, MO if I want to see it....

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
CAL said:
Looks like I'm going to have to drive 2 hours to Nashville, TN or 3 hours to St. Louis, MO if I want to see it....

Maybe we can meet up in St. Louie again to watch the movie AND do some more riding... :) I "might" have the ktm figured out by then! Actually, I'll probably just end up getting the dvd when it comes out...

- B

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
CPT Jack movie review: I saw this movie Sunday and it was truly thrilling. Dana does cop his father's style a bit much, as if it's a formula - esp w/ the Bartles & James "simple folk" attitude and mandatory feel-good bits. But the action speaks for itself. I've never seen anything that captures off-road like this. Again, thrilling for anyone with the slightest interest. A definite must see/own!

Another winner was Sin City. If you're into Tarantino style & violence, it's the best thing since Pulp Fiction.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It's worth the drive guys! I just saw it on Friday and was very much impressed. I was surprised by the great personal stories as well as the father/son bonds that were shown. And the racing stuff was great! Watching an XR650 doing 110 mph down the beach was absolutely amazing!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I can't wait to see it! I have a friend that I grew up with (a couple of years younger) who finished 3rd in the 500. It was the first year that something other than a 4 wheeled truck finished first. That year the first 3 vehicles across the line were XR650's. The stories he tells of having trophy trucks on his rear fender at midnight (and doing 100+ in a big rut) are frightening!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
From here is 5 hrs if I drive fast. Dallas 5 hrs, Austin 6.5 hrs, or that place that VD lives 6 hrs. That sucks :ahhh: I realy wanted to see if on the big screen. It would cost me 90 bucks in gas easy to see it with the price of gas. Guess I'll be awaiting the DVD.

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
The movie comes out on DVD on Aug. 28 and the shop that I work at is all excited about it. :yikes: I will more than likley have the fist copy of it when it comes in.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom