Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
SFO and I are planning the ultimate dirt bike adventure! We would like to spend two weeks riding, drinking and ....
We've looked into some of them and Costa Rica looks amazing.
Do any DRN's out there have any advice?
Has anyone done any tours south of the border?
Any and All information(about riding south) is welcome!:D

Mianjet2001

Oct 10, 2001
First let me give you some advise based on your post. If you go to Mexico (Baja) don't go there with a gun, don't go there with drugs and leave your bad attitude and heavy drinking (if you do) at home. You can get into some ugly trouble if you think it's a good place to party hardy.
I say this all because I have been going to Baja since 78 with all the off road races. It's an adventure every time I go and I have a million stories. If you are looking for long ride, unbelievable sights and neat people, Baja is a good choice. There is technique in dealing with the authorities and this needs to be addressed before you go.

As for the tours, Cycle News has tours listed in their ad section. I would recommend Chris Haines who is a Baja racing champion and runs many tours.
If you want more info, E-mail me.:cool:

rm125chris

Oct 28, 2001
Yo Tambien.

I'm also looking for information on riding south of the border. At first I was interested in Costa Rica, but Mexico sounds fine too. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the tour companies? I've traveled in Central and South America several times so the culture issues aren't a concern.

Doesn't anyone offer two-stroke bikes instead of the 4-strokes? That seems odd since there aren't any emissions laws down there.

rm125chris@aol.com

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I've ridden in Baja twice, both times with Tim Morton's Bajabound Adventures. I don't know anything about riding elsewhere in Central/South America. Baja is an incredible riding experience and if I had the time/money/flexibility/etc....I'd ride in Baja once a month. The scenery and riding conditions are excellent. I highly recommend Bajabound (www.bajaboundmoto.com). The service is good, they are well organized and they really know their way around Baja.

I'll second what others have already said about the laws in Mexico and the risks of partying. Forget it. Go there to ride and keep the partying to a bare minimum. For most of our group(s) that was easy because after a 130 mile day, there is no energy left at the end of the day.

I took my XR4 which is the bike most of the tour companies use. There is a big discount if you bring your own bike. These are favored because of their reliability and simplicity. If you fall and crack your radiator out in the middle of nowhere, you are stuck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom