Nov 12, 2002
I'm riding a 2002 KDX 220 with stock suspension. I ride tight woods (2nd and 3rd gear) and almost no jumps. I weigh 175 with gear. The stock suspension seems plush but balanced to me. However, all I hear is the fork springs are too soft and should be replaced to match the shock.

Stock is .35 kg/mm up front, 5 kg/mm in the rear.

Could the stock springs match my riding style, or are they hopelessly out of balance?

I have incresed the compression damping in the forks quite a bit (I'm running them 4 clicks out). Is this giving me a balanced feel on some hits? While stiffer springs would improve handling overall?

I like soft suspension, and I like woods riding. My thought is that stiffer springs are for motocross. Set me straight.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If you like the action-leave well alone-once you start messing with it you will never stop-look how much time i spend in this forum-im searching for something that i dont think exists-perfect suspension.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The KDX is designed as a 1st & 2nd gear bike. Were you to discover 4th, 5th, 6th gear -- you'd most likely need to change to heavier springs. Then, when you got back on the slow tight trails it would be too stiff. Soft springs allow the suspension to float through the obstacles instead of bouncing off of them. A too soft front becomes a real problem on steep downhills even at slow speeds. Weight transfers forwards, the front drops even lower, the steering angle increases and it wants to tuck under. I'd stick with stock for now.

Top Bottom