placelast

Apr 11, 2001
We had a good storm hit us on the central coast, so I got to thinking of doing a local ride with the dust under control and traction made a-plenty.

Friday at work I had printed out Rocky Mtn. M/C’s tire prices along with Craparral’s. My point was to use them as leverage with Cycle Gear, as the local shops carry nothing I like – if any tires, and the prices are out there. Plus I haven’t seen any Dunlop’s new 952 to compare with the 773s I’ve been using.

Saturday I get to compare and decide to stay with the 773s, and later in the evening put the front on, then decide to reverse the existing rear to squeeze a few more rides.

One of these day’s I’m going to give up the struggle and let the shops mount tires – for now it’s good exercise, eh? Laying the new one in the sun for an hour did little good; maybe in summer it’s better? There is a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself; perhaps that you still have it – whatever it is.

3am rolls around and I cannot go back to sleep; it’s not due to the ride – this happens when camping for enduros or in anticipation of a group ride, but what is this? So I fiddle around, trying to be productive, then wake up Shorty.

Living a bit closer to Ballinger is fine; the dive now just over an hour – wish the place was unfathomable like Clear Creek, though, as it could get stale after a while. There was a head wind coming from the east, and I was hoping it would not prematurely dry out the trails.

As we rolled into our familiar staging spot, there were ½ dozen others already there, and two campsites where they had spent the night in RVs. It was on the cool side, say sub 60 degrees and clear.

Since the sun was coming over the hillclimb out of camp, I led us around on the north side, then crossed over to the south. Traction was good! A fine tackiness throughout. My bike turns rather well (whether I want it to or not) but with this new tire? whoo hoo!

On most of the trails it was evident we were either the first or second pair thru the whole weekend. We did the all of the mini canyons, some with rail-able berms. No dust, even in the washes. There were a few spots of standing water; ice was formed overnight, and the ground remained with frost up to noon in some spots. For those of you who know the place, there are a variety of soil types, some chunked off of the knobs and flew in different directions.

Shorty was doing fine until he decided to hit the whoops with more speed. He achieved two augers for the day, but no harm other than front-end washouts. He was liking it; even better after I told him to stay on the balls of his feet, and pinch the tank/seat with his knees. He was glad when I pulled out the jerkey (see Carlo: I’m not vegan!)

As we continued to head east we were certainly leaving civilization behind, crossing paths with other just twice. And then we came down the final canyon – you know: the one we all like; so high and steep on the left and right there’s no way out. Fellers: the branches are getting low, and the ruts deeper; all the more challenging
Off in the distance we could see two guys on 450Fs dong some off-trail climbing. This is the reason trails are closed; the greenies jump all over the land mangers when they see evidence of this. (They passed us in their pickup on the way out of the canyon; I got the plate info, and am thinking about passing the info to the off-road coordinator, so he can give them a call at home – they do have access to that information, don’t they?)

As we made the last turns before camp, I traded rides with Shorty – he likes my 250 but cannot start it on his own. And we then pulled in to call it a (1/2) day. But before we left, I wanted to try a trail that’s been closed for some years (opened up a year ago), #12. It shortcuts the climb to the south side, and can be coneected on the top of the camp hillclimb, on the right. It’s kwad friendly, so perfect for us older guys like that Hollyshot or Hotshot or whatever his moniker is, or even ancient ones like ‘ol sumthin’ sumthin’.

Gotta go now...stirred the pot...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
placelast said:
or even ancient ones like ‘ol sumthin’ sumthin’.

Gotta go now...stirred the pot...

Hey now, watch it there buddy. ;)

Excellent report as always John. Hope to be back in action soon. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Sounds like fun, looking forward to getting back there (sans head ons), maybe spring?? Or let me know if another short notice shower promotes a ride.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
placelast said:
Terry: you okay? Been out of action? QUOTE]

John.

Nuthin' too serious. PM your email address to me, I'll fill you in.

Ol'89r

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
great little article you wrote...I haven't been to Ballinger Canyon in about 30-years! Last time I rode there it was right after a rain, and it was so muddy you could hardly make it 50-yards on flat ground without having to stop and unclog the mud from around counter shaft sprocket....but once it dryed out a little it was a blast...back then I was 16-years old riding a 250 Bultaco Alpina...what a great bike that was...

thanks for the write-up, brought back some fond memories....I grew up in your area, Orcutt, went to High School at St. Joes, live a couple blocks away from the school. Back then the school was surrounded by open fields, which are now all housing tracks...I could get home from school and could instantly go riding........those were the days...

Top Bottom