placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Wow - got more rain, and that means another ride. Packed up the bikes and let the usual DRNers know I was going, but didn't expect much of the Wrecking crew as they were doing a D37 enduro.

My youngest son didn't want to go, saying it was too close to the last weekend's trip, and my middle son bailed in morning (geesh! Dad pays for everything yet he wanted to sleep in), so I unloaded the green one and left with the yellow still loaded, hoping KX2fitty would make it afterall but for some reason he didn't, which left me to either find a blind date from those already there or do a simple dual-sport ride up and down the main road; I chose the latter.

The air was a crisp cold, to the point where it was definite enduro jacket time, with a baklava, neck warmer, and Windstopper gloves; I know it is not wise to dress for the parking lot, but with fireroad-type speeds, the wind-chill factor would be up there. And that's fine as the jacket is rarely getting and use.

The view from the valley to the left and right peaks displayed what appeared to be a light dusting of snow on the ridges, and sure enough that is what had occured, as I discovered, when the temptation was too great and I took a new-to me trail (31 or 41?). As the trail climbed and became tighter and tighter, the white stuff was on both sides (cool! just like a dream come true), and after a mile or three of climbing this razor-edge-top ridge, my senses returned and I turned around - I was alone afterall, and doing remote trails is foolish. On the way back down the front tire was sticking very well - you mud guys have to try the Dunlop 773 - even though the moist soil was adhering to the tread and packing between the forks and swingarm, such that while coasting downhill and paddling with outrigger legs (yes: I ride like a goon in mud and ruts) the bike came to a stop. I had to start the engine and goose it to regain downhill movement, which proves a near bald 773 rear can still propel! (A new one went on later in the day, back at the garage.)

Once back on the main road I resumed higher-gear progress to near the east-end of the valley. Turning around afforded some opportunities to ride in the parallel wash instead of the 4x4 road. Now the forest service doesn't want us riding in there but the signs are nowhere to be found this far up, so in I go. Plop! The wash's sand is wet, traction is great, although the overhanging branches slapping me every so often are just as wet; maybe moreso. After a few miles of this it became like someone poured a bucket of water on my lap! although the jacket kept my upper torso dry and warm, though all the wiggling in the wash to get under the many overhanging scrub oaks.

As I pulled out of the wash at the first USFS sign many miles later, my visor was dripping with water, and goggle lens-view distorted (four eyes, here). A few more fast whoops and I load it up for one of my shortest rides ever, yet just as refreshing - I am now ready for another week of work.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Placelast, sounds like a real good time. Too bad you are not a little closer to the San Francisco Area I would have loved to join up with you for that ride, especially seeing as how it sounds like everyone bailed on you. I ride mostly motocross but with all of the rain we have been having up here the tracks have all been closed or atleast a mud mess. I have been wanting to go on a good trail ride, but since I moved here from CT I dont know any buddies out here that ride, and I dont want to go on a long trail ride all by myself its just not safe. I met a couple of guys up at club moto in livermore and we all went up to Stonyford for a trail ride about a year ago and it was awesome, one of the most intense rides I have ever been on and phenomenol views, very similar to what you described with the snow once up to the right elevation. Unfortunately we never got together to go again. If you ever feel like taking a trip up north for a trail ride let me know. Stonyford is still about a 2 hour drive for me from San Fran but it is up in the mountains and just an amazing place to trail ride, but you get so far from the pit area you have to be with atleast one other rider in case you have any problems.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks, JST. San Fran is a bit of a drive for me - moreover then Stonyford, of which I've been to many decades ago - been there a few times when I lived up near Sacto (actually grew up near there) - outrageous trails and fond memories!

You need to hook up with the other DRNers from the area - they usually do enduos and such throughout the northern part of the state - good group of guys and gals.

They do make it down this way to Clear Creek; I've never ridden in a place with so many trails and scenic opportunites as this! Maybe Jonala/FarmerJohn/Fremont Guy can arrange to lead a group. There is a national enduro coming up in Feb. (Coalinga) and another in March (Piglet and Wild Boar) by the Timekeepers; consider hooking up with them and/or the Salinas Ramblers - they are both active and should always have someone riding. Helping course layout is a real good way to get to know the area and build a buddy list.

Top Bottom