KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I picked up some Renthal (#722) CR-Hi bends the other day for my KDX. The bars measure 795mm (31.3") wide raw (w/o barkbusters). The bars currently on my bike have been custom bent by the many trees I have hit and the rapid decelleration while digging into the ground. :D They are close to 30" w/o barkbusters.

I was just curious how narrow you guys have been cutting down your bars for woods riding. Have you been leaving them as wide as the Renthal CR-Hi bends i mentioned above??

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
just my bars are 28 1/2 inches without hand guards..I have the Cr Hi bend too you will like them. I'm sure you know you may have to cut some off your levers.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Kevin,

I have found that the best way to go is to move all your levers, grips, and accesories as far to the middle as you can get. Then cut off the excess. Careful on mounting anything on the bend itself, since it will not stay put. Also, make sure you mount everything so the throttle snaps back freely. The bar manufacturer will tell you what the minimum length is on the packaging, some are 27 inch min. If you run tight woods like I do, you will find that the less bar you have hanging out there, the better. Good luck.

B.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks guys. did you cut your bars down with a pipe cutter (which i do not have) or was a hack saw sufficient?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I hacksawed mine until they measured 30" with guards. I also have the cr-hi and they are far better than stock.
You may get headshake if you cut them too short so go a little at a time or consider a damper.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yesterday I rode an XR400. The rider wanted to try a KDX. But I learnt something startling.

Yeah it was a big heavy pig, but that wasn’t a shock. No what I learnt when I got back on my bike, which I had to trick him to get off cause he loved it. But what I found was the bars were too narrow & too high making it hard to go from seated to standing, specially uphill. Ok I’m 5’9” but the bars I have are too high. Must measure how wide they are, but I always cut as much off as I could get away with, but it worsens the problem being narrow, despite moving them forward a bit.

Oh yeah the XR was surprisingly gutless, but had good brakes.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
btw - the bars on my bike currently are not stock. Just bent to hell!

Not sure what bend they are (were).

DT - it would be a bummer to find that you cut them down too much. It is kinda difficult to make them wider.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Pipe Cutter is a clean cut

I mount all my stuff on the bars as close as I can and cut off the excess, MX is always been shoulder width arms extended. When I measured mine, it's always @ 29 1/2 or so.
I run TTR 125 Bars on mine. Thier tall, kinda like the ol' Oneals that I seem to run for years. I stand a lot and this makes my old back fell a little better after a few hours of racing.
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2-TTR 125's Boy "A"'s, and "B"'s
Trees grab, rock's pinch, dirt hurts, a day without riding sucks! ;)

Top Bottom