Barely legal lighting diagram needed

Shontsy

Mar 25, 2004
To all you KDX'ers, I am looking for a lighting diagram for adding lights to my 2001 220. Before you say call Baja, I'm not made of money. I've already given them plenty of dough for the parts. Certainly someone has already done what I want to do. I just am having a hard time finding time to sit down and work out the diagram the way I want it.
My dilemma is I want to run the brake light full-time, and the taillight and headlight only when the light switch is on. This would be easy if not for the regulator. I want everything regulated. For some reason I can't get the diagram to run the brake light by itself, regualted. It may help you to know the following.
1. I will be using a Hi/Lo/Off switch from Baja to run the lights. This must turn on the headlight and of course the taillight. FYI, the kill switch will run the horn. Baja said alot of people are doing that and using the stock kill switch to kill the motor. Good idea!
2. I will be using a hydraulic brake switch and Baja LED taillight (with it's own rectifier built-in). The brake light switch should turn on the brake light whether or not the rest of the lights are on. (That's the part I can't seem to figure out. Lack of sleep I guess!)
3. No battery, No turnsignals.
4. Acerbis DHH headlight with Hi/Lo beams.
5. Yes, I'll be building a harness as needed.

I know this is possible, and probably even easy. I'm just not seeing it yet.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Shontsy

Shontsy

Mar 25, 2004
How about if I just use the hot lead coming off the hi/lo switch which was purposely put there to run the taillight? Is that OK with you, or should I buy a bunch of crap on e-abyss and do it your way?

The point was to economize the system, not complicate it further. But I guess you were too busy trying to make me look stupid to actually understand my question before you gave an answer even a moron like me would have thought of instantaneously.

The first rule of giving advice is to actually know what the hell you're talking about.

Thanks anyway.

P.S. Isn't it spelled Renthal? If that's not what you mean, you should have picked another nickname. Rethnal just give the impression you love handlebars, but can't spell. I'll bet $10 your crossbar is bent in the shape of your forehead.

As for the rest of you who don't know it all, if you have questions, call Baja Designs as much as you need. They practically beg you to call and bug the crap out of them right on their web site. I didn't need to call once I got the switch in hand because I read the back of the package, and there was my answer. But they did answer some other questions I had before I ordered parts and are very cordial. I still don't understand why the kits are so much more than the sum of the components, but whatever. My bike is done. Adios.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Chill out dude... I was trying to help. The problem is that you do need a regulator period or you will be blowing bulbs left and right. You have a hi-lo switch on your KDX but the problem is I thought was that they are not both hot all the time.But you were the only one privledge to that info. I used to make wiring harnesses for a living, so I do know what I'm talking about. Relax and take a breath.... I wasn't trying to make you look dumb at all but truth be known,,, you coulda done the whole wiring job for $25 using alternate parts vs. whatever you spent through Baja!... but making fun of names and saying the things you do makes you look pretty bad yourself. It's spelled differently for a reason.... and Hmm... seems to me they make sprockets, chains and other goodies too, so maybe you just need to get out more...... :laugh:

P.S... Ever figure out where your from??? :thumb:

Last edited:

Shontsy

Mar 25, 2004
Here's my point. In my first post, I specifically said I want everything to run regulated. In your first post, you told me to Y off the unregulated lead to run the taillight, or at least that the most logical interpretation since you don't say anything about a second regulator. Then in your apologetics post you tell me I MUST have a regulator or I'll be blowing bulbs, which I already knew. Go back and read the thread from the beginning like you weren't the author, and DIDN'T used to do this for a living and tell me it makes sense.

There is already a regulator on a KDX. I don't need two.

Renthal made bars first. I'm from Hell.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
So, your saying you don't need two regulators running two seperate circuits running at different times after the switch huh?

Yeah and Kawasaki made HEAVY MACHINERY first too... what's your point?
Hell eh... Ohhh spoooooky.... :p

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Please keep this going gentlemen, I don't know what the "home town" you're talking about but it's a fascinating read.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Aw come on Bruce... I pissed him off enough (unintentionally) and just want the guy to have some peace in his life and enjoy his ride!

Top Bottom