speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
The rubber piece attached to the face opening of my son's helmet came lose. I want to glue it or reattach it somehow. I have some Barge cement that is used for shoes and will hold rubber to plastic but after reading about the stuff I am concerned that the vapor may be harmful. I know that when first used you need to be in a well ventelated area but after it drys is it still hazordous. I have not been able to find any info on the internet for this particular concern.
Any thoughts on this?
Tom :confused:

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I called the company today that makes this glue and posed the question about fumes. She told me that the fumes where not a danger once the glue dried but to be aware of chips of glue coming lose and being inhaled or swallowed since it is considered a hazardous substance.
A motocross style helmet is open face so it gets plenty if air blowing in there among other things so...
I will leave the glue on there making sure there is no glue that might flake off and go from there. If it comes lose again I will try double back tape and lastly a new helmet I guess.
This glue is good stuff for shoes etc.
Tom

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I have never heard of the Barge brand glue but i do know that the "all purpose Goop glue" has excellent bonding properties as well as plenty of uses around the house and shop. There is a fair amount of vapor off-gassing for about 24 hrs or once the glue has fully cured. Give it a try if the Barge fails.

Dave....

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Speedy: don't be concerned with the vapor over the long term - it takes several hours to evaporate, and once gone there won't be much more % out-gassing left to be concerned with.

I used to make shoes for my three sons when they were quite young and their feet were mushy - it's good for them as they grow. I made one pair or myself and they were so butt ugly I never wore them in public and tossed them out. The kid's looked fine, though, and with practice I was able to make some suitable for public appearances.

Barge is the best of the contact cements. It can be bought from the few shoe findings (supply) stores left in the country.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Thanks for your replys. Barge all purpose cement is also sold in hardware stores. I believe this to be the same stuff sold in shoe stores but I could be wrong. I have also seen the goop stuff in the shoe section of a pharmacy and almost bought it but ended up with the Barges.
I'd be interested in seeing those shoes, too bad you tossed em.
tom

Top Bottom