aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
I started installing a set of barkbusters this weekend, and stopped the project when I saw that the bar end has a metal plug (vibration damping weight?) in the end. :bang:

Should I drill this out? Can I use the stock bars? Or should I just get a set of new handlebars?

I did a search and could not find anything on this topic.

Thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The stock bars are pretty weak and will bend easier than a good quality aftermarket brand. There are several ways to get the plug out of the stock bars, but the way I have done it is to get a lag bolt that you can turn with a socket. Drill a hole into the plug that is big enough to allow the threads of the lag bolt to catch. Start turning the bolt into the plug, and after a few spins the spot welds that hold the plug will break loose.

After you get the plugs out, you might consider shortening your bars to 30" or 31"or so before installing the bark busters. BTW, with most barkbusters you will have more room for levers if you mount the inner mount to the top triple clamp instead of to the handlebar. To do this, you will need to fabricate some mounts (aluminum straps about 1" wide and 1/4" thick will work) and use longer pinch bolts in the clamp.

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
Regarding the throttle side, any suggestions for how to make the hole without ruining the throttle?

If I were to change out the bars, how do you remove the throttle assembly?

Thanks again!

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
You definitely want to replace those bars. They're junk. I can't believe Kawi puts those things on there. The first time they hit the ground, they're bent. Take a close look at the throttle assembly. You'll figure it out. ;)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Loosen the scews holding the throttle houseing tight to the bars, then just slide it off the end. You will need to cut the end of the grip off to install the busters. when you reassemble everything, leave a slight gap between the throttle grip end and the barkbuster. I didn't and when I fell on that side, the barkbuster jambed the throttle. Took me 30 minutes to straighten that out and I ended up as a DNF at the enduro this happened at.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Yeah, I had the exact same problem when I tried to install my FRP barkbusters with stock bars. I ended up ruining the stock bars in the install, but what the heck, everyone says their too soft anyway, so I got a set of $39 MSR "Dominator" aluminum bars and everything went together fine.

You may need to cut the end of your levers in order to get them to fit under the barkbuster (and plastic shield, if you have them). Mine were a PITA to install, but after much cussing and many blows with a rubber mallet, they were done and they have saved me on more than one occasion.

If anyone knows of a place to order those mounts that allow the barkbuster to mount to the triple clamp, please share because I'd love to do that.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I just got my pipe cutter, and then but about an inch to and inch and a half off the end of my bars. If you are new to dritbikeing, I say leave the bars, as you will probably bend them, and the next set you put in.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If you want to use the stock bars, first cut them to your desired width, then the plugs might come out. If they do not come out just drill and tap the hole in the plug to 1/4" x 20 threads. You can find the tapered allen head 1/4" x 20 bolts most anywhere that sells specialty hardware. Assuming I can still find them, I have a pair that I not longer use and will give you or anyone else in the USA that I can mail them to. Email me at harrisjt7@hotmail.com

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Bark busters and bars

Hey,
I cut my bars to 27 and a half inches. This is usually enough to go beyond the tack welds and the plugs will fall right out if you use tubing cutters. I run the bars this short because the tight woods down here are REALLY tight, I learned this the hard way on my first GNCC race. There are a couple of trade-offs. First, the shorter the bar, the more high-speed head shake you will suffer. This was a real problem on my 90 and 94 model KDX. The 98 wasn't bad and my 2004 it's not worth mentioning. Second, when the bar is that short, you are bound to have interference between the top of the fork and the inside mount, on my 2004 I can't drop the bike in the clamps the way I like to. So checking on the triple clamp mount is something I will do
I've never had a problem with the stock bars, maybe I'm not doing something right. Ha
Later,
Dave

Top Bottom