n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
Well, I went to an MX race track for the first time today for practice (I've been riding a practice track for three years)... I had fun but shortly before I was going to leave, I came out of a corner squirelly, started to slide out, then highsided (I think that's what happened). Anyway, the end result is that my bars got badly bent, and I got a little bruised up.

The bars were on the bike when I got it, so I'm not sure what brand they are. They are steel bars with a welded crossbar. I had been wanting new ones because I couldn't rotate the bars as far forward as I wanted to (due to limited clearance between crossbar/crossbar pad and bolts/triple clamp when rotated farther forward). It looks like I have a good excuse to buy bars now...

So tonight I was looking at new bars from MXsouth. I was seeing two basic types of 7/8" bars - steel w/ welded crossbar and aluminum w/ clamped crossbar (like Renthals). The steel ones run about 17-25, and the aluminum bars are about 50 on up. Since I'm low on money, I'm really leaning towards the steel bars (it looked like there was more vertical height between the crossbar and main bar so rotating them forward should be easier). But since they're so much cheaper, it seems like there obviously must be problems with them... the aluminum bars claim to absorb vibration and bumps more - is the difference significant? Are there other serious issues?

The other question I have is regarding bends... there are many to choose from. Since they are all 7/8" they will all fit, right? It seems like each brand has it's own high and low bend. Since I ride a KX250, I was thinking of the KX High's since I like the bars pretty high and forward - would some of the other brand's bends be better for this?

Thanks,
Andy

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
7/8" will fit on your stock clamps. When choosing a bend that you want high and forward, look for high rise and low sweep. The steel bars will bend easily under a hard impact, but if your are short on cash it seems to be the only alternative.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
If you have the dough, aluminium is the only way to go. You'll be impressed at how much more these bars flex and allow for shock absorbsion. Studboy is right about choosing a bend as well. :thumb: When I buy a new bike first thing I do is trash the stock bars.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
The other thing I forgot to ask is about strength... are the aluminum bars better in this regard as well? I don't want to go down again and trash a pair of aluminum bars (well, at least not as easily).

If the aluminums are really a lot better, I'll try to get those... I'll find the $$ somewhere...

Andy

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
7yrs. of riding 1 bent pair of oversized bars.......on concrete so it didn't really count. :) Oversized are definately the best, SeniorKxRider hit the nail on the head. I didn't mention them because of your budget issue, but they are by far the strongest. The down side is that you have to buy a different clamp setup for them.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I learned the hard way. 3 sets of steel bars in a little over a month. Then I bought tag x5 bars(7/8). That was two years ago. I just tweaked them last week.
You do the math. 20$ x3 every other month, or 60$ once every two years.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Ricky
THIS IS NOT THE FOR SALE FORUM-MOD EDIT SRKXR
:o ......................man I hated getting reprimanded :laugh: I only posted a sale question in the wrong forum once! :laugh:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I had some aluminum bars buy Fly racing that were nice. I bent them in about a year, and I think that I only paid about 40 for them.

Also, have a look at URL=http://www.mxsouth.com/msr/msrcnthbadom.htm]MSR Dominator Bars - click me[/URL]

They are way less than the Renthal. I've never had rental bars before, but I imagine the MSR can be much different.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
On Sat. I had the pleasure of watching an 02 RM250 land on its handle bars after clearing a 40ft gap (minus the rider :scream: ) Picked up the bike and only thing bent was the bolt that fastens the bar mounts to the upper triple clamp. I was impressed. The bars? 7/8" Renthal CR Mids.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Definetly the 1 1/8 oversize bars are the way to go, but they are a bit expensive and you gotta get the mounts too. The 7/8 Renthals are a very good bar, considering they are the small diameter. Just don't cheap out and get some off-brand aluminum bars at a "bargain price"...I've gone down that road and they bend just like the steel ones . How tall are you??? I'm 6'1" and the Renthal bend "CR High" is great :thumb:

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
Yeah, I know the oversized bars would be the way to go for the most strength... just can't afford them.

I'm thinking I'll go with the aluminum bars... most likely the Tag X5's. I found them for $60 - like PK said, I don't want to go through a bunch of cheaper bars. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Andy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom