Base gasket thickness vs. power output?

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Is it possible to adjust the base gasket thickness on a 2-stroke 250 to reduce the power output across the board? If so, would you go thicker or thinner? My instinct says that a thicker base gasket would lower compression and reduce power. But, I'm not sure how port timing comes into play.
Anybody have any experience or insight with this idea?
Thanks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The theory is that a thinner base gasket (like Cometic's special ones) will help raise compression and also lower the ports on the cylinder - therefore the power will come on sooner and stronger. By this logic, I would guess that a thicker base gasket wil reduce the compression and tame things a little bit, too.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
A thicker or thinner head gasket would be less confusing as eliminates the port height change.

Of course some bikes are o-ringed. Try retarding the timing a bit which should lessen the hit of the power & is easily reversible. Raising the gearing somewhat may have a similar effect.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
I put a thinner base gasket on my CR250 last summer when i put in a new top-end. It was a noticable difference in bottom end power. I'd do it again to my next bike too. It's a cheap way to gain some bottom end if ya put a thinner one on.:cool:

Tulio

Mar 16, 2001
Mark, My riding partner is a AA scrambles rider and a GasGas 250ec owner, and he prefers the thicker base gaskets because of the smoother power they make compared to the thin gaskets.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…