binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
I bought my 07 KX100 about 3 weeks ago brand new. Since then I have changed the transmission fluid 2 times and replaced my spark plug about 4 times. It is running great other than the spark plugs fouling. The bike is totally stock other than an FMF Q silencer.

First off, how often will I have to repack my silencer? How will I know when I need to repack it? Lastly, what is a good packing to use?

Also, how often will I need to get my engines top-end rebuilt? With my casual riding, do you think maybe I could just replace the piston rings every year and the piston eveyr 2 years or so?

Anyways, my first question is: How often should I change the transmission fluid? I ride like every other day or so for an hour or so. Never raced and probably never will.

My next question is: Sometimes when I start my bike cold (but in the summer so it isn't actually "cold") it will just putter around the yard. Whenever I give it gas, it will bog down and almost stall unless I let go of the gas. That has happened 2 times and both of the times I changed my spark plug and it made it perfect again. But does that mean something when the plugs foul so fast?

Thanks!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
binaryterror said:
I bought my 07 KX100 about 3 weeks ago brand new. Since then I have changed the transmission fluid 2 times and replaced my spark plug about 4 times. It is running great other than the spark plugs fouling. The bike is totally stock other than an FMF Q silencer.

First off, how often will I have to repack my silencer? How will I know when I need to repack it? Lastly, what is a good packing to use?

Also, how often will I need to get my engines top-end rebuilt? With my casual riding, do you think maybe I could just replace the piston rings every year and the piston eveyr 2 years or so?

Anyways, my first question is: How often should I change the transmission fluid? I ride like every other day or so for an hour or so. Never raced and probably never will.

My next question is: Sometimes when I start my bike cold (but in the summer so it isn't actually "cold") it will just putter around the yard. Whenever I give it gas, it will bog down and almost stall unless I let go of the gas. That has happened 2 times and both of the times I changed my spark plug and it made it perfect again. But does that mean something when the plugs foul so fast?

Thanks!

if its really bone stock( with the exception of the silencer), then the jetting is rich, typical for stock bikes from the factory. you need to lean out your mixture and give it more time to warm up. also, what plug are you running? if youre not already running this one, try a BR9EG/BR9ES( basically the same thing) or you could go to the more expensive BR9EIX, an iridium plug.

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
The plug I am running doesnt have symbols like that on the side. It says R6252K-105. This is what the guy at the dealer said to use. Also, with the jetting, I have no idea how to take my carb off. It does not say how to in the manual either. Do you know of a website with pics showing step-by-step how to take off the carb?

Thanks!

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
To take off your carb, you have to disconnect the airbox boot, the throttle cable, and the boot leading from the carb to the engine. For the two boots, all you should have to do is loosen the two clamps on each one,(one clamp for each boot) and then the carb should just slide out of each boot. For the throttle cable, there are two screws on the top of the slide assembly cover. Just take them both out, pull off the cover, and the slide assembly should come right out. As for the packing you should replace it as soon as you notice the bike becoming excessively loud and a good packing to use is either Moose or FMF. The top-end should be rebuilt once the bike starts losing compression and power which you should be able to feel. That is all of the info I can give you right now and I hope it helps! :cool:

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
That helps a ton! But I think I have been replacing spark plugs without them being fouled. How do I know when a plug is fouled? I always replaced them when the bike bogs down when I start riding after it was sitting for a day or so.

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
That is when you know it is fouled, the same thing used to happen to my friend's 2007 kx100 and it kept happening until we got his jetting straightened out. When the bike would bog and not want to rev, we would replace the plug and it would run fine until it fouled it again.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
binaryterror said:
That helps a ton! But I think I have been replacing spark plugs without them being fouled. How do I know when a plug is fouled? I always replaced them when the bike bogs down when I start riding after it was sitting for a day or so.

youll know its fouled if it bogged down to the point to where it stalls the engine and wont start back up.

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
Well mine will always start back up. Its just as the bike is warming up it bogs to the point of stalling. Then it gets better. With the jetting, I have a guide printed out, but from what my bike is doing, what would you suggest adjusting? Will I have to buy different size jets or will I only have to adjust the needle with the clip on it.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
hey if you are buying so many plugs take your old ones and if you have a blow torch warm them up and get all the oil off until the tip of the inside and thing covering it is a nice mocha brown then you have a perfectly fine spark plug. just helps save a couple bucks but somethimes you just have to throw a plug away at the least change it every year.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Lean the needle one clip position and open the air screw up another 1/4 turn and go from there as a starting point. You may end up leaning the main and the pilot too. I don't know what elevation you are located at or in what temperatures you are riding, so it is impossible to tell you exact jetting, but from my experience with the KX100's the needle normaly needs leaned out one position. These bikes come from the factory jetted very very rich!

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
Ok I will attempt to take the carb out and adjust the needle 1 clip (up or down? I have never seen it before). I do have the take the carb off right?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Just remove the seat and tank, you can remove the two screws holding the slide in the carb and lift it straight up and out of the carb. Move the clip one position up the needle, this will lower the needle and lean the midrange out.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
As Griff stated the needle is the key. Your stock needle is a NAPF. The next leaner is a NAPG. Kawasaki offers a bunch of optional needles for the KX 85/100. Take advantage of their great selection and dial in your jetting. It will give you a huge boost in low end. We use KX needles in our YZ85 and luv'em :nod:

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
Wait aren't there 2 jets? I am going to the dirt bike store today and I am going to buy some leaner jets if I can but I dont know what to tell them size wise.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
One size leaner pilot jet would be a #42, stock is #45
One size leaner main jet would be a #135, stock is #138
Stock needle clip position is 4th groove from the top so I would go to the 3rd groove from the top as a starting point.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
binaryterror said:
Well I already adjusted the need, so do you think 1 size leaner for the main jet and pilot jet would be good?
I can't answer that becuase I don't know how it is running or what the plug looks like. I would get the main jet correct and then go from there. Currently my son's bike has the stock pilot but I have the air screw turned to about 1 7/8 turns out and we have the stock main, which seems to be working fine. I could possibly go one leaner on the pilot for the very high temps that we are currently having. I noticed last Sunday that the bottom end sounded a little rich but it cleaned out well when he opened the bike up a little.

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
Ok, well I will just buy 1 richer, and 2 leaner sizes for each jet so I will be prepared for any situation. So, where can I buy these jets?

binaryterror

Jun 17, 2007
Ok well I called my local dealer and he said I need to bring in my jets for him to compare to because they just have a big drawer full of jets and such. Should I go elsewhere to buy them? Or does it not matter that they need the jets for comparison?

mxrcrnick

Jul 11, 2007
hey its nick g. when ur bike is really easy to kick that is probably when u want to got a new top end but u probably wont need one. mat k just replaced his bikes and thats a 97 and it was raced so u take care of ur bike and it'll be fine. ttyl

Top Bottom