Basic spring maintenance?

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I have a '96 XR 250 and was wondering what spring maintenance I should do before I take it out for a ride. Change fork oil? Change engine oil (even though it was changed about 30 miles before it was put up...due to an unexpected snowstorm)? Clean carbs? I'm used to the snowmobile pre-season process, but dirt bikes are new to me. Also, I am thinking about putting on a skid plate. Any advice about them? Thanks in advance for any help. *Winter Rules*

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Although I have two strokes much of the maintenance would be the same.  Take off the wheels, swingarm, forks, steering column and then clean and grease all of the bearings.  Change the fork oil and shock oil.  Maybe even buy new springs for the suspension.  Use anti-seize on every bolt that you take out.  Disassemble carb and clean.  Lube cables, bleed and/or change hydraulic fluid for brakes.  The list goes on and on.  I have five MX bikes that I worked on over the winter.  Just finished putting my RM250 back together and 30 minutes ago.  Race season should start for us in about two weeks.

BTW:   WINTER SUCKS :moon:

Spring, summer and fall RULE because DIRT BIKES RULE! :thumb:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Vytas
Maybe even buy new springs for the suspension
Why exactly would that be needed??

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I think Vytas read into the thread heading thinking "spring maintanance" meant maintanance on your springs, not maintanance to be done in the spring. :)

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
No, actually I meant that he may have to purchase new springs.  :scream: The bike is seven years old, springs sag over time and may not be the right rate for this particular rider.  I have replaced the springs on my RM, based on my weight, during my first winter maintenance period and it made a huge difference.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, if you are off from the start with the rate, getting new ones will definately help. The rear shouldn't need to be replaced (if it's the right rate to start with). The fronts on the other hand have a "wear length" meaning if when measured, they are shorter than some length, then replace them.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Vytas, sorry for the assumtion. I know the first time I read it that is what I was thinking. :silly:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…