HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm looking to get a smoker, but I don't know anything about them except how good the food coming out 'em tastes!

Anybody have an opnion? I'm not looking to get something you need a 4-wheel drive to bring home, but I'm wondering what to look for making the best tasting smoked pork. I was thinking about a gas one?

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
my dad has one that we use a lot in the summer

not sure what it is but i will look/ask him

we have smoked just a bout everything ribs brisket (i think i spelled that wrong) and lots of other things.

i would highly recomment getting on if you have the time to smoke cuz it takes like 6 hours. MMMMMMM TASTEY

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
A gas smoker? Blah!!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
gas or electric could work as long as you get some wood in the box for that smoke flavor. Those kinds of smokers are a great choice for someone who doesn't want to mess around with tending a fire. The meat comes out close to as good as a "real" smoked meat.

For my money I'd want a real hickory fire. Get an offset firebox model. you don't want the flames licking the meat. I know that some people have good luck with the upright water smokers, I'm just not one of them. Tending the fire is a pain in those models.

I have a 150$ model from home depot that actually works ok for the money. I had to fashion a baffle between the firebox and the smoke chamber; the flames had a tendency to travel too far.

Oh yeah, forget about the chunks of wood you can get in a bag. Find a local woodcutter who has some seasoned hickory/mesquite/apple wood in split log form. The fire burns much better from my experience.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=9484

Last edited:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Okiewan said:
A gas smoker? Blah!!

That's sort of what I was thinking. But then someone convinced me that gas was easier to run (consist flame) and that you just needed something to create smoke anyway?
I've never used any of them, are you giving up flavor this way?

PapaKeith, I can't open the link you posted?
The offset models are better? I was looking at some cheap ones at Home depot ($150). They have an upgright one that looks like the racks would still be plenty far away from the fire.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have the Char Griller brand, pretty simple, works well and well made, also cost $89.00 and local home improvement store. The add on texas style indirect smoker is my next addition, but it's big enough to smoke indirectly with a pie pan over the coals on the other side as it is.

http://www.chargriller.com/

Os course there is my other flower pot smoker, that some of you thought was so funny last year :nener:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I found a Brinkman at Walmart, $149 and it was already assembled. It is a laydown, has a big box for wood and a nice size grilling area.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I use a upright water smoker. Fire tending???? The only time I need to extra fire in is when doing a large turkey. I get a good fire going using a chimney with about 3/4 kingsford briquettes and 1/3 wood, Alder for fish or foul or pork, hickory for beef, mesquite for everything. Start with hot water in the water pan and just let the fire cool as it cooks. Start hot finish cool and you will never overcook or dry out the meat.

I have used an electric upright water smoker with poor results, it dosent get hot enough initially to cook so it subsequently drys everything out. It makes OK smoke but was more hassle than just making a fire and forget.

I bring the smoker along for camping, I find it the best to put on the meat go take a half day trail ride and come back to gormet dinner. :nod:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
That reminds me I have a dead Apple tree I need to take to my Grandpa!
He has an old smoke house, 6 by 8, with the smoke coming out of the floor, and the fire box about 15 feet down hill.

He used to smoke a lot, but getting older :(

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
So I settle on a small upright propane smoker and tried it out yesterday making some pulled pork. It turned out awesome, and it was less than $200. I'm glad I didn't spend hundreds or even thousands more, that stuff was awesome, home made bbq sauce and all. I now have a whole knew set of phrases related to a hobby, rub, soaked wood chips, smoke ring yee haw!

Top Bottom