tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I'm about to pick up a portable, siphon style abrasive blaster. I intend to use it mainly for removing the paint from the frame, pipe on my 93 CR. Any suggestions on the type of blasting material to use? Also, other than good eye protection, what other safety items do I need. I friend of mine tells me the abrasive material gets everywhere.

DREWSER

Sep 12, 2003
Hi there,
I have a bead blasting cabinet at work, We use medium glass beads as these are the best all round size for removing corosion and they leave a mat kind of finnish on steal and aluminium which is ideal for painting on (it's not to coarse), also we find the glass beads last longer before they start t ware down.
For protection I would advise you get a good pair of goggles and a heavy pair of long gloves, like those heavy suede welders ones .

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Thanks for the reply. Have you ever used the non-cabinet type ?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've got a super cheap cabinet type but it leaks so much it there isn't much sense in closing the lid. w/o a good cabinet you definetly need an air filtration system for yourself. I personally would buy a full face model like this one, Click Me!! Right now I just have the half-mask type but then you still have to wear tight fitting goggles.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Blasting sand.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I wear a hooded sweatshirt, respirator,safety glasses and an old welding helmet with just a clear lense on it.The heavy rubber solvent type gloves will offer better protection then leather ones but for small spots regular work gloves should be more than adequate

wear the longest shirt you have under the sweatshirt,don't tuc them in but tuck your work gloves under your sweat shirt sleeves and tape them. the object is to try and get a layering like roof shingles. works great if you have to do a lot of fibreglass work also.

DCWarren

Sep 2, 2002
Great advice, read and heed. It goes everywhere, and if you are using any kind of sand (read silicon) you absolutely need a proper resperator. If not you risk getting a lung disease called silicosis (spelling?)

Top Bottom