Bear Creek at Rampart CO this Saturday

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
If any CO riders are interested, we are attempting our once a year ride of the expert, double diamond trail, Bear Creek :scream: at Rampart Range this Saturday, 7th, at 9am. We'll be at The Sprucewood parking area.

Join us if you dare :p

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Doug,

Is this the series of trails behind the Sprucewood?

I have not ridden it but I've heard they are wicked hard:scream:

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
That would be them. Actually it is a moderate trail until you get to the Bear Creek part. Then the fun begins. There is two trails back there. One goes down to the Platte River and the other is the Bear Creek loop. Many a rider has missed the turn left to the river and had to walk out of Bear Creek.

The trail down to the river gets pretty rocky but nothing like the decent of rocks at the beginning of Bear Creek. The loop has a good variety of difficult terrain. A good test of skill. But lots of fun too.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
A few years ago I was riding Rampart alone and tried this trail, as it was one of the few I had yet to ride. Jeez! I thought I was never gonna get out of there!. I don't know how far down the trail (692) I got before I came to this steep, huge jagged rocked downhill. I thought, man if the rest of it is this tough, I better turn around before I get myself into something I can't get myself out of. And I did, but not before going down that steep, jagged SOB. It took me an hour to get the bike 15 feet back up that section of trail. I'd get it started and without getting on it, I'd rev it and dump the clutch and launch the thing as far as I could. Pick it back up, rest, restart it and launch it another few feet. Now , I've been on 693 down to the S. Platte several times and it's a fun trail. You guys be careful and be sure to give us a ride report if, I mean, when you make it back.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hmmm, sounds interesting. Wish I had seen this post earier I made a prior commitment (family thing) or I'd do my best to slow you guys down. :D

Derek would you be interested in another Colorado Spode fest? I know it's a drive from TX, maybe around Taylor Park?

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
You bet Rod! I allready have scheduled the time off to make the Taylor Park spodefest in September. I've been looking for accomodations. The internet reservation site for the campgrounds say the CGs close Sept. 9th and everything from Dinner Station down to Lottis Creek seems to be booked. My next place to look is Holts Guest Ranch about 2 miles east of the trading post. I need to call them and see if they have anything available. Either a cabin or RV site. Do you know that area? Are there places to get a pop-up into besides a Forest Service CG or commercial place, like maybe off the side of a forest road somewhere? Last option would be trying to find someone that allready has reservations that I can stay with.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
So... I mentioned Taylor Park to the hub and of course we HAD to go investigate it today (even thought my handlebars were tweeked from yesterday). 'Left the house at 6:00AM and when we got there we found this trail numbered 414 after driving around the area a little bit. Um. It was hard. Yeek. The hub loved it. I fell over. Is it ALL that steep and tight and rocky with cliffs over there at Taylor Park? 'Just curious, right?

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Oh yeah... This is a thread about a Bear Creek ride. How'd that go? 'Tried that on a mountain bike and carried it most of the way. I dunno about doing it on a dirt bike, though. Yeesh!

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I don't know CJ. I've not been there yet., but I'm told most of the single track is intermediate to expert. Trails Illustrated makes a really good map of the area. Check online for a retailer near you. Look for Colo. maps# 131 and 132.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Jen,

There were a few trails I did over Mem. day weekend that I thougt were fun and not too hard, . The Star trail comes to mind, although it was pretty snowed in about 15 miles in and I've heard there is a waterfall you have to get up somewhere on that trail. I found some reasonable singletrack around Buena Vista too.

I was unaware of the Sept SF too.

How was the Sprucewood ride.

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Rodzilla- I'm glad to hear that because CSL really wants to go back to Taylor Park now. If you and Doug are headed back there before September, I'd bet CSL would like to go with ya'll! :eek: I'd prolly duck outta that trip. Sometimes ya just gotta say UNCLE. (This is actually CJ and not CSL. I forgot to check which of us was logged in. Ooops.)

Last edited:

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
CJ, The Bear Creek ride was tough and exhilarating as usual. For me it is a once a year ride. It was very hot. I had a helmet cam with me and the battery to the cam blew up from the heat. Still one of the funnest trails to ride. Very satisfying. I really recommend it to anyone who has not done it. It is a skill tester. I'd be willing to run it again with anyone who wants to try it. I need to get more video since the battery blew up.

Derek, is Taylor Park the area of Tin Cup, Tomechi and Hancock passes? I've ridden all those several times but don't remember it being called Taylor Park. I've also ridden Crested Butte many times, Pearl, Gunsight, Scofield passes. I'm wondering where this area is? Thanks, Doug

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Taylor Park reservoir is just north of Tin Cup. The trails run all around it. Star trail to the east and Timberline to the NW are a part of this area as well as lots of others. As I mentioned to CJ earlier, take a look at Trails Illustrated maps for Colo. #s 129, 131,and 132.

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
I think I may know what you are talking about. If you come over Cottowood Pass from Buena Vista, it comes out at Taylor Resevoir. If you go right, that will take you into a trail system of jeep roads. At least that is all I found back there. We rode from Crested Butte once into that Cabin area for lunch just south east of the Resevoir, heading into Tincup. Are there harder trails or single track in that area?

Last edited:
Top Bottom