Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I'm a computer geek and tend to work in data centers, so dealing with the heat is getting more difficult each year. Yesterday, we spent a day riding in 90+ humid, muggy heat. Not that hot really, yet for Texas anyway, but it's getting there. With all the gear: pants, jersey, gloves, helmet, boots, goggles....man was it hot after each ride. We'd ride for a bit, maybe an hour or so, then stop to rest in the shade drinking lots of water. After 3 rounds of this, I had to call it a day because I knew I could be getting in trouble: dizzy, very tired, rapid heart rate. Heat injury was starting.

So, what are some good tips for summer riding? I don't want to miss out on riding, but I don't want to get into a potentially fatal situation either.
:ride:

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
ok this is not a dirtbike question, but a computer question. to play our CD's and stuff we use Windows Media Player, and when you go to play a song it doesnt have any sound coming out. it'll go through the whole song but you wont hear it? what is the problem? thanx.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I have a sixsixone pressure suit and I think it is cooler than a jersey and chest protector if you don't were anything under or over it. It is mesh so it breaths real good, really almost like riding shirtless, I know, hard to believe but that is my opinion. Only downfall is you look like a Star Wars character or a Power Ranger. I don't know how much more you can do other than wear a hydration system. When it is hot, it is hot. It was 92 and humid here yesterday in A.R. so I know how you feel. Take lots of breaks, ride some trails with some creeks/rivers to play in and when it is time to quit, it is time to quit, ya gotta know your limits.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
I work outdoors, all day, virtually every day.

Drinking tons of water is something that is an obvious must. I drink at least a gallon a day at work. If you quit sweating, immediately stop, and hydrate yourself. If your sweat quits, you're seriously dehydrated.

Eventually, you get used to the heat. I've been outside all day when the heat index is 110. It sucks, but lots of water is the key. If you're going to be riding for a long period of time, I'd invest in a camelbak.

I've had heat exaustion many times before and it sucks. And I was even drinking tons of water (so I thought).

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Besides staying hydrated, there are a few companies that sell gear specifically designed for the warmer weather. I'm not sure exactly, but I do believe Moose makes what they call Sahara gear, and I think there may be others. I bet just doing a search here on DRN you would find answers to your questions.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
83MX80 said:
ok this is not a dirtbike question, but a computer question. to play our CD's and stuff we use Windows Media Player, and when you go to play a song it doesnt have any sound coming out. it'll go through the whole song but you wont hear it? what is the problem? thanx.
Hmm, I didn't think it got that hot in Canada.
At any rate, don't let this happen to you! :|

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Here's a few options for warm weather riding:
MSR has a vented version of it's System X jersys, pants, and gloves

Shift's Carbine 3/4 Sleeve jersey, and 3/4 Squadron Jersey I use these for mt summer riding. the 3/4 sleeve rocks, and it's almost all mesh. The Squadron Racepants have cool vents you can zip open or closes, and you can zip the legs off and make them into shorts.

Here is the Moose Sahara gear that Squeaky brought up. It's also good stuff.

I think that Thor and Fox also make vented gear. There is more brands out there, you just have to do some digging.

And it's been brought up, but is worth repeating. take water in a camelback or something simular with you on long rides.

Last edited:

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Great suggestions and thanks for the replies. Camelbak is something I'm going to invest in for sure. One of the riders in our group this weekend had one. I'm guessing you can put ice in it too.

The Oneil gear I wear is pretty stifling in the heat. I'll check out some of the summer weight gear and pick up a set. I'd just hate to sacrifice some protection though. Seems everytime I go out there's a new bruise somewhere....thigh this time... :| If I'd been wearing shorts I would have lost some skin...

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
If I'm riding in shorts mode (and that's not much) I have on socks and aand the anti chaffing knee brace things from Asterick, so I'm covered, but I'm also in the desert with out that much vegatation

You can put ice in a camelback, and it's a great thing to do. if you ride with a backpack the motherload is a good one. it holds anything you could need. And has compartments to keep stuff organised.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Drink lots of fluid befor you get thirst. I like cytomax seems to keep my going longer than plain water. I also down a Gu occasionally in a long ride. Wear vented gear.

good luck

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I've never ridden with a backpack before....that Motherlode is one hefty system....I think I like the Mule...probably suit my needs best.....I'd like to see one in person though....

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Dirt Bike once had an ad for a vest that had gel in it; you put the vest in the freezer the night before a ride.
The claim was that it wasn't ice cold and it did maintain something like a 45 degreee temperature for a few hours. I wish I could remember the company, I'd like to try it.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I have a camelback and I usually fill the bladder at least 3/4 full or more with water and lay it in the freezer at an angle so that the water isn't touching the filler cap. On the morning of the ride, I put it in my drink cooler on ice and then just before I mount the bike, I pour a bottle of ice cold drinking water in with the ice. This keeps the water really cool and also it feels good to have that cold ice pack on while you ride! You could probably do pretty much the same by putting ice cubes and water in it just before you ride. I think the big block of ice seems to last longer.

If you know you are going to be taking a break during the day back at the truck, you can keep a spare bladder for your camelback in the cooler for the second part of the day. Keeping a cold, wet towel in your cooler helps cool down back at the truck also.

Lot's of fluid intake is a must!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I used to do like xsnrg and put the camelbak in the freezer half full. It did make it last longer but I also believe it was the cause of the demise of my bladder because it ended up splitting at the seam. I just put ice cubes in the new one after that.
I had an AXO vented jersey and pants I bought in 2002 that was great. I believe wearing that jersey was cooler than being shirtless as I could feel every breeze through it plus it kept the sun of of me. Works great!

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I like that cold towel idea...I'll do that too.

I bought a Camelbak M.U.L.E yesterday at Sun, Ski & Sports in Grapevine for $59.00. Green one and this thing is awesome. I also ordered Moose Sahara jersey and pants from Cycle Gear...they'll be in Thursday. So, for Sunday's ride:

Camelbak with ice & water.
Moose Sahara outfit.
Cooler with cold towel.

I should be MUCH better prepared for the heat now. Thanks so much everyone and I'll report after the ride.

BTW - I looked at alot of summer gear before I dropped the cash on the Sahara. There's alot of highly perforated lightweight stuff. Some was so much, you'd have to wear sunscreen under it. I think there's got to be a breakpoint though, in that the cooling is offset by the sun hitting your skin. Seems you should have a balance of sun protection and ventillation, rather than just an all mesh outfit. IMHO....

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Lots of good info in here. I'm definitely looking forward to that review.

I won't be able to hit up Marshall Creek this weekend, but I'll probably take the bike out to the in-laws (13 whopping acres) and employ some of these tactics.

May 26, 2005
I have the Sahara gear and wear a camel back in south florida 90+ temps and 90+ humidty equals brutal riding conditions. Thankfully most of my riding is woods so I'm in the shade more than the sun but it's still agony.

Between the gear and a camel back you'll be in better shape. Here's a link from a doctor that races the FTR events in Florida Dehydration Link It's a PDF file and the section you want to read is on pages 9 to 13. Great info about how much and how often to take in water while riding. :cool:

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Excellent pdf...more than just heat advice in there...thanks for the link, I saved it locally for future reference. Looks like we're going to some place called "boondocks" on Sunday....'sposed to be an MX track and some trails. Weather forecast is for high of 92 with 15+ mph winds and a slight chance of thunderstorms, so it will be humid too.

May 26, 2005
:) Glad i could help. I found that whole survival article great myself and try to follow the sipping rule every 15 minutes as best I can. I think an enduro clock is in my future for the heat down here LOL

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I just picked up a Sahara jersey and I definitely think this will help a LOT. My other jersey has very little mesh, but this thing has plenty.

The tops of the sleeves and the front are normal mesh. Most of the rest of the jersey is very open mesh. I was a little concerned about sun exposure, but since the open mesh is on the bottom of the sleeves, it should be fine. I'll test it out this Sunday.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
Get a vented jersey and wear your chest protector underneath your jersey so your jersey isn't right against your skin. Wet your jersey in cold water before you ride, it helps me out a lot to do that. Wear a 72oz. camelback. Take your helemet off as much as you can because when you put it back on all your sweat will be cold and feel good for a lil while. Hit as many puddles as you can, if your not behind or near anybody i ride without my goggles. Also get a helmet that has vents in it.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Proxy said:
I just picked up a Sahara jersey and I definitely think this will help a LOT. My other jersey has very little mesh, but this thing has plenty.

The tops of the sleeves and the front are normal mesh. Most of the rest of the jersey is very open mesh. I was a little concerned about sun exposure, but since the open mesh is on the bottom of the sleeves, it should be fine. I'll test it out this Sunday.

:cool: Yeah! I picked up my pants yesterday and will get my jersey today. I tried on the pants at home, and wow...just walking around the house, I could feel the air moving through them! And talk about comfortable... :) From now on, cost will not be a factor in my riding gear. These pants are SOOOO much better than the Oneils I have, I'll probably never wear the Oneils again. Well worth the cost I think, and will probably prove that on Sunday.

Top Bottom