Been lookin at getting a bigbore 4stroker until

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Well I've decided to get back into dirtbike riding. I was looking for WR400 or something along those lines until today. I went into a Honda/Kawasaki dealer today and was convinced I should ride a KDX220R and let me tell was I ever pleased. They seem to have the power you need down low and all the power you need up top as well. I really wanted a 4stroke but after riding this bike and feeling the ease and comfort of riding that it would provide I've decided that it's gonna be the one for me. I am 5' 11'' and 215lbs and it's got all the power I think I'm going to need, where as the WR250F fell a little short for me. So for those that have this bike, do yo think I am going to be happy?

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
We've had one for a few years now. Very dependable, has power down low and everywhere else. These bikes have a huge following as you can tell from this website (Canadian Dave's) . I would suggest some mods like an aftermarket pipe/silencer, open up airbox, etc. You can read everyones opinion here!! It's NOT a motocross bike, but we take it to easy practice tracks around here for fun. Oh, one more thing: definitely do the suspension, they are unbalanced from the factory.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Oh no, don't plan to race in a 250cc class becuase you'll get smoked. If you race in the age class and you not up against a lot of 250s you've got a pretty good chance after modifacation. Plus you up for a lot more fun if you just race to see how you do. XR400 fork springs stiffen the forks if your a larger rider and they're a lot more cheaper than KX forks($40 from honda). FMF has great pipes for the KDX's too. Check out the forum.

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
I'm not a huge guy, only 5'11'' and 210lbs so kinda big I guess but not huge. I have no plans to race I just want something that will keep up with the WR,CRF and such 400+cc class bikes on the trail. As I had stated those were what I was looking at but I rode one of these and thought this would fit the bill better for me and keep up just fine. In fact from what I've read I would tend to believe that I may even have some edge on those bigbore MX 4stroke bikes, accept maybe on a long open flat. That and these are much cheaper and I also liked that this bike starts so easy as compared to the WR and such. They also appear to be less maintanance intensive, but I could be wrong on that I suppose.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
That bike is pefect for you. Your next problem is which to get, the 200 or 220. Basicly the 200 has more top end for faster trails and strait aways. The 220 has more low end grunt for hills, rocky areas, and tight trails. Either one I think your better off on a KDX than a 4 stroke.

Top Bottom