mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i was asked today what they used in radiators for antifreeze before ethyl glycol antifreeze. i didn't have a clue. do any of you know?

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
before anitfreeze

I believe that was in high school and took shop class our instructor told us that they used to use some form of alcohol. I'm not sure if that was isoprople or some other form. I would think that alcohol would not be effective because I don't believe it has cooling properties. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. :think

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA GNCC

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Re: before anitfreeze

Originally posted by KDX1
I would think that alcohol would not be effective because I don't believe it has cooling properties. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
Okay!;)

Just to demonstrate to yourself the cooling properties of alcohol, take one of those pre-moistened alcohol wipes and swipe it across your arm. Notice how cool it makes your arm as it evaporates?

I think the switch to ethylene glycol was made because it's much more stable.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Alcohol cools on your skin because it is evaporating, not because the liquid itself is absorbing heat. Hopefully it would not evaporate in a closed system.

I don't know what they did before modern anti-freez, but If alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, it would make sense to use it as an anti-freeze. Perhaps they ran an alcohol/water mix in winter to prevent freezing, and switched to straight water in summer to absorb more heat.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
I don't know what they did before modern anti-freez
Maybe they had a lot of busted engine blocks and radiators?:confused:

Seriously, according to my 77 year old father, ispropyl alcohol was indeed the product used for antifreeze purposes (although before his time, he says ;) ), but of course it was not nearly as effective as glycol, and as everyone knows, alcohol can be very corrosive.

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
They used alcohol mixed with water, ispropyl I believe as it mixes with water easily. My Dad still calls anti-freeze alcohol! Dad says it evaporated, but I think maybe he just didn't have a cover on the radiator!?!??! You just have to love my Dad or he will drive you crazy! I don't think I'm crazy??????? ;)

Kevin

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
You can put hard liquor in the freezer and it won't freeze, so that sounds like a good anti-freeze to me-plus you can crack the radiator drain plug and use it like a keg!:D

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
PTCruiser,

I think I saw that on the Beverly Hillbilly's a loooong time ago:cool:

Kevin

Top Bottom