dr516

Oct 8, 2003
Hi is there such a thing as a beginer adult enduros I don't mean learning to ride beginer but riding enduros beginer class and if there is any in Illinois or close. Also does it matter what type of bike you ride or is it open to any enduro bike no matter size or year?Can anybody sign up or does one have to be a member of a club?I have been away from motorcycles for awhile but want to get back into it and think it would be great to ride with other people. Thanks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check your local dirtbike shops for info. Any enduro that has the word Qualifier or Family in it is a safe bet to be fairly mild. Many enduros have an E class that is about half the length of the full enduro. You don't get points but you do get the experiance. You will probably need to join AMA and the local District as well. If you are 30 or older, you can sign up for the Vet class. 40 and over is the senior class, 50 and over is the super senior class and 60 and over is the gentlemen's class. You will compete with others within your skill class and age. Hopfully, someone local to you will reply and will give you more local information, or better yet, would meet up with you at an event to explain things better and help you out. Good Luck and have fun!!

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Since you are asking about what kind/year of enduro bike, I will assume you are refering to a bike with lights. It is a good idea to have a street legal enduro, but it usually isn't really checked over at the races very close. The bikes age really doesn't matter as long as it will get you where you are going and back.

Since you are wanting a beginner enduro, you might want to consider an organized dual sport ride. They are ran very similar to an enduro, except there is no time keeping required and it is not a competition. It's just a bunch of people getting together to go on a long trail ride that might have some road sections included. There is a dual sport ride scheduled for November 1 at Byron, IL. This might be a good place to start. Otherwise there is a true enduro scheduled for November 2 at Morrison, IL. The enduro will definately require a current AMA card and I'm guessing the dual sport ride will as well.

coolktm

May 29, 2002
Does anyone have more info on that dual sprot on the 1st? Last year it was a poker run. Are they going to be strict on lights/plates/etc?

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I help put on both the enduro and the Dual Sport in Byron. Both events are good for beginners. The enduro will be a little longer than the dual sport and have a couple of tighter sections of trail than the Dual Sport.

The enduro will be around 55-60 miles long with fields in between the woods sections. We also run the whole enduro at 18mph, so slower riders have a better chance of not houring out. I feel it is a good beginer enduro do to the woods sections are short, then there is usaully fields following the woods to rest in, and the slow speed average.

Layton has good questions about what type of bike you have and where you live. You need lights mounted on your bike to ride our event, can't have a MX bike with just a number plate. Almost all District 17 Enduros are this way. If you live close to Byron, then you could come see what an enduro is all about and give us a hand, we need it this year. I could stick you with a couple of guys that would give you all the info you ever wanted about an enduro.

In District 17 (IL) we have a trailrider class, this is for first year enduro riders. You can ride any cc bike and there are no age restrictions. You will have to be an AMA member, and a District 17 member, both of which you can sign up for the day of the race.

As for the Dual Sport, it will be the same as previous Poker Runs, must have lights mounted, the rest is up to you. We sanctioned it as a Dual Sport because we can have non-AMA members ride. We will have road sections or arrows around all technical stuff in case some true Dual Sports show up.

I will post more on both events in the next couple of weeks. you can also email the club at forestcityriders@hotmail.com, I can send you a flyer on both events if wanted too.

CoolKTM, where are you located, do we know each other?

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
FlyinRyan,

Is the Byron enduro a makeup race or is it the same enduro as the Morrison race? The only enduro I see on the Dist. 17 schedule for Nov. 2 is at Morrison.

Thanks

dr516

Oct 8, 2003
Yes I do have a bike its an older DR350 but it runs pretty good,there is a headlight, tail light and offroad tires no turn signals or plate.My problem right now is I cannot find a trailer within my budget(about $250)if anybody knows of one let me now,does not have to be good looking just safe to haul my bike around.I live in Berwyn, last time I went to Byron(august) it took me about an hour and twenty minutes to get there, not bad.I think its a great idea to go and see what's all about and give a hand. I do work on saturdays thoug but sundays I'm free.FlyinRyan could you please send me the flyers for both events.Thanks sguerra1@ameritech.net

headbanger

May 7, 2000
If I have a district 23 card do I also need a 17 card also? or can I get a one day pass? What is the terrain like for the Byron enduro? Flat or river bottoms?
Thinking about making the trip down from Mn. Winter is coming too soon!
Also what is the nearest town for lodging?
Thanks!!!

drzgod

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
If Indiana is not too far for you to go, here is a real fun time:

www.teammooch.com

Their Mooch Spring Trail ride is advertised as a Dual Sport, no time keeping, but a lot of fun. Ride consists of three loops that get progressively harder. Ride them in sequence or repeat a loop if you want, its all for fun. Make sure your bike is quiet, this events runs right next to a state park, so they are real strict about noise (spark arrestor too.)

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I am going to try and answer some of the Byron enduro questions for Ryan.

This is a make up enduro. It was to have been run in the spring.
The trails border a lot of corn fields with short woods sections thrown in. It is normally not a hard enduro but as usual you will find some fun/challenging sections.
If you have any district card it will be ok. I think all districts honor other district cards.
Rockford would be the nearest big town for a motel.

dr516,
This event does NOT start at the Byron MX track if thats were you were before, though its fairly close. I'll let Ryan explain where its at. I'd try to make it if you can. The enduro and trail ride are always a good time. I know I plan on making both events and Morrisons enduro.

coolktm

May 29, 2002
Flyin-I dont think we know each other. I have been to 2 poker runs and 1 enduro at Byron. I was at the enduro a few years ago when it was a mud fest. We started in the rain and most didnt finish.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Layton answered all correctly:

It is a make up date.

Any District card is good.

Terrian, we do seem to have a lot of logs to go over and will have a couple tight sections but they are not very long.

I can email a map if anyone is interested.

CoolKTM, I ran the start the year it rained. That almost killed having the enduro anymore, that's why we cancelled in the spring this year, to much rain. If you come down look me up, I will be running signup at both events and the start at the enduro.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
FlyinRyan,

I'll take one of those maps. Thanks for the info. bydesign1@frontiernet.net

I don't know why I thought that the Byron and Morrison race were both on Nov. 2, but I guess I need to learn how to read a little better.

By the way does anyone have the points totals for the Dist. 17 enduros. I haven't been able to find them any where.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Just so there is no confusion:

Byron Enduro Sunday 10/26
Byron Trail Ride Saturday 11/1
Morrison Enduro Sunday 11/2

Hope this helps. :)

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I think the poker run starts at 10 am. There are some road sections which is why the bikes must have a headlight (enduro legal ;) ) which also means you need a drivers license to be legal.

Top Bottom