DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
Hello all, first of I would like to say this is an awesome site! It is very hard these days to find a good community on the internet. I am a Mountain Biker and decided to try riding with a motor ;) I weigh about 230lbs and I am 5'8. As you can tell from the topic I am on somewhat of a budget for my 'first' bike. I heard that I should go with a 400 or so, but not sure if that is true. I want to be able to do trails and some MotoX. I have no problem buying a bike that is a few years old. After reading all of these threads about 4-strokes, should I try to find one? Or stick with a 2-stroke? I am a complete newbie when it comes to this, so bare with me please.

Travis

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
For a 230lb guy I would suggest to look at nothing less poweful than a 250cc 2-stroke MX bike.

MX bikes ride better on trails, than trail bikes ride on the MX track.

Any late model high-tech 4-stroke MX bike will cost more than $2500.

A 10 year old 250cc MX bike is still a very viable track machine. Also repairs are cheaper for them compared to 4-strokes.

I weigh 165lbs and I ride a 1994 CR250, and a 2001 CR500. My 1994 MX bike has no inherent disadvantage on a track when racing brand new bikes.

Other good choices would be a used XR400, XR600, DRZ400, etc. These trail bikes would be easier for you too ride initially, but you will shortly realize their limitations on the MX track.

Honestly, a guy your size will typically ride something bigger than a 250cc MX bike, but since you are just starting out and since used 250's are highly abundant, it would be a good choice IMO. Use the 250 to establish a baseline, then sell it for what you paid for it, and move on to something that suits your preference better.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
A KTM 300 E/XC is another good choice. You can pick up a '99 for that price(but don't go any older than '99). It was bike of the year that year and they've mostly gotten better each year, though I'd take a '99 over an '00.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I was just like you about a year ago, mountain biker looking for something else to do for fun. I purchased a older 250 MX 2stroke, realized how fun it was and bought a 02 Rm 250. I also weigh about 230 and my bike has all the power I need.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A 250 MXer won't have any trouble pulling a 230 lb beginner, if it's running like it's supposed to.  At $2500 you should have lots of bike options.  Make sure you set aside funds for safety equipment. 

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
A 250cc MX bike it is! Thank you very much for the input. I love mountain biking, but just need something different. I have always wanted a dirt bike too.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
be careful with the power at first, they are a hanfull - most likely much faster then you can imagine right now.. they will flip you over in a heartbeat.. remember, im not trying to scare you - 250s are the best all around bikes imo! im 16, 185lbs and love my 04RM250 - good luck

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
I went to a local bike shop and purchased a 2000 Kawasaki KX250, I am picking it up tomorrow morning. Thanks for all of the help guys!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Welcome to the club. Your life will never be the same!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Make sure you set aside funds for safety equipment. 

Please take Dave's advice seriously. Conditions will dictate what's essential but the obvious minimum would be helmet, boots, goggles and gloves. If the terrain is rocky or you're headed for the trees, elbow & knee protection will pay dividends as well.

Especially with the KX (can you say light switch?). If you haven't ridden before, you are in for the eye opening experience of what a modern dirt bike can do. So be sure you're pointed in the direction you want to go when you light the fuse.

And riding with someone who has some experience will make it much more fun (not to mention it's good policy to not ride alone).

Have fun!

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
I purchased the following equip along with my bike:

Jersey
Pants
Chest Guard (I guess thats what it is called?)
Boots
Knee Braces
Goggles

Anything for arms?

I completely agree that safety equipment is VERY important, that is the last thing I would overlook on something as serious as a dirt bike. I appreciate all of the great feedback. Yes, this is my first dirt bike and from what I understand the 250 does have more power than I need, but you have to start from somewhere right? I didn't want to jump on a 450 or anything, knowing that I would probably hurt myself. I plan on doing a lot of trail riding, and hare scrambles with the bike, while occasionally hitting the track for some fun (No races). My big question I guess is, am I too heavy for the 250? I weigh 230 lbs.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
A 2 stroke engine puts out almost twice the power of a 4 stroke (it would be exactly twice except for pumping losses). That's why the AMA rules specify a maximum displacement of 250 for 2-strokes or 450 for 4-strokes (and 250 4-strokes compete against the 125 2-strokes). Thus a 250 2-stroke is plenty of bike for you -- in fact when it "gets on the pipe" somewhere around half throttle hold on tight!

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by DougRoost
in fact when it "gets on the pipe" somewhere around half throttle hold on tight!

I took it for a spin today..It has an aftermarket exhaust from the motor back to the tip of the muffler, omg that thing is fast! It is very tall though and I have trouble kick starting it..I assume there is a way to adjust the fork so that it is lower..correct?

Travis

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I usually stand on my bike stand to kick mine over because it's just easier. Never have a problem on the trail since it's usually bermed up, giving me a slightly higher place to stand and kick it.

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Yea i rode my first 250 2-stroke the other day, and boy was it a rocket....whats yalls opinions on a 02' CR250R? thanks : ) BTW im a newb too, (6'1 162 lbs) and that KX250 took off like no other! FUN STUFF!.......is there anyway to keep the front end from coming up every gear though?? lol

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by DirtDragon
It is very tall though and I have trouble kick starting it..I assume there is a way to adjust the fork so that it is lower..correct? 

You can raise the forks in the T-clamps but at the expense of head shake at high speeds. You should be safe at 10 to 15mm.

You can also lower the rear with longer "dog-bones". Do a search on that topic for additional information.

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by RV6junkie

You can raise the forks in the T-clamps but at the expense of head shake at high speeds. You should be safe at 10 to 15mm.

You can also lower the rear with longer "dog-bones". Do a search on that topic for additional information.

Thank you for the reply, I will do a search on it. :)

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i suggest cutting your seat foam and leaving everything else the same.. i have to use a stand to start a 250, but it's not a big issue once im rolling.. playing with suspension/etc comes with a trade off of something you may be unaware about.. cutting the seat foam lowers the seat height but the ride will be almost exactly the same

lowpass

~SPONSOR~
Jun 22, 2003
Don't forget where you came from. My mtb was getting dusty there for a while after I bought my KTM, but lately I have been back on it. Mountain Biking is entirely too much fun too.

Top Bottom