flapisthebomb

Aug 12, 2007
Hey, I'm here looking for a beginner's bike basically just to learn on and maybe get into some races in the future. Any information about getting started with motocross would be really helpful! & If it matters, I'm a girl.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'4", 120lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you?
uh not really sure, maybe moderate.
3) what do you plan to ride-
MX/SX tracks & with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
nope.
5) Do you think you will race?
maybe in the future.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
not really.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
whichever is easiest to learn on.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I haven't really looked into it.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
nothing too outrageously expensive.
10) Do you live in California?
nope.
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I just need some suggestions and maybe some other tips because I'm totally new to this.

Jan 3, 2007
Well, i am 15 but i am 5'8 and 240lbs and i ride a IT465 now. For a starter bike for you a KDX200 or KDX220 would be perfect for you for a season or 2 then after you have outgrown the bike you could advane to a 125 2 stroke MXer or 250 2 stroke MXer. The reason i say KDX is because with some suspesion tunning the bike can make its way around the track well, it is eay to work on, its really reliable, its shorter then a 125 or 250F, it is really easy to ride. But if you want a bike that will last you 2 or 3 years a 125 such as a YZ125, CR125, RM125, KX125, or 125SX. They are harder to learn on but they make you a better rider then anyother bike out there because you have to be aggresive to be competitive. To make one fit your height there are ways to lower it such as a lowering link, short seat foams, and lowered suspension. Eaither way these are most likly your best options out there.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
OR if you can get your hands on a KTM exc or xc-w 200 or 250. the 200 is light nimble, reliable and about 1/3 faster than the KDX. It would be better for races and would keep you entertained a while longer but then again it may not be the best bike to learn on if your not the type thats aggressive. The 250 has more bottom end and would be easer in the sense that you can get in the power band quicker and not have so much clutch work compared to 125's. Go to a dealership and give a try on a few models your interested in.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At 15, you are probably not getting much taller, so I am thinking big wheel 85 to 105. The RM85 and KX100 would both serve you pretty well. They have power valves, so the bottom end power is decent, and they won't have the sudden hit that is so common among small 2-strokes. I also considered recommending the KTM105SX, but I do not know whether or not it is power valved. I am quite certain, however, that it is the lightest bike in it's class. Any of these should carry you around the track, and even into the women's racing classes. There are also a couple of non-gender specific classes that you would be qualified for, but you need a lot of ride time before trying those classes out.

Of course, if your budget allows it, then you could go for the Honda CRF150R.

All of those 200s and 220s that are being recommended are trail bikes, and not really suited for the MX track.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
FruDaddy, the bikes you have listed would suit him for a season and would have him wanting to go get a new bike the next spring. At 15 you still grow and some faster then others. I am 15 and probably done growing, but my buddie robert is 5"2 and now rapidly growing at 16.

Cman250, i must have zoned out for a bit. The 200 EXC or XC-(W) would be wounderful and same with the 250. Both are really decent track bikes and do awsome in the trails.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
2 strokes for life said:
FruDaddy, the bikes you have listed would suit him for a season and would have him wanting to go get a new bike the next spring. At 15 you still grow and some faster then others. I am 15 and probably done growing, but my buddie robert is 5"2 and now rapidly growing at 16.

You missed one important detail, it's her not him. Last 3 words before question 1. They start and end their growth spurt sooner, and tend to stay a little smaller (until after the wedding ;) ), I figure there's maybe another inch of height in her, but that's about it.

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
hey i got a ktm 250sx and its a 2 stroke its a great bike im only 5'8 at most really short but im 19 i havent been ridding all that long before this i had a 125 thumpster and yeah the powerband is a little scary at the start but if you have the time to ride and get used to it then i say go to the 2 stroke 250 just make sure you got all your gear on to save your bum

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
2 strokes for life said:
Well, i am 15 but i am 5'8 and 240lbs and i ride a IT465 now. For a starter bike for you a KDX200 or KDX220 would be perfect for you for a season or 2

Firstly much respect to '2 strokes for life' on riding the IT465
Secondly I would have to agree about the KDX200, it's the kind of bike you can ride in your sleep and is very friendly, easy on maintenance, cheap for parts and it is happy being ridden slow or fast. If it's too tall you can lower them real easy too.

As you say you are not physically aggressive you could mx race it if you like, but once you learn to ride you may enjoy trail riding and cross country racing more. 20min lap kind of thing.

You also say you will go riding with friends. Why not get them to teach you on their bikes and then grab a ride on a few different bikes before you make up your mind.

Last edited:

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I am pretty sure after 2 years the bike has been purchased and maybe even upgraded. This is an old thread.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey GoldDrum that's really funny :rotfl: I didn't even see that. I suppose the guy before me didn't see that either. And to think I wasted good coffee drinking time to answer it too. Something to look at next time eh.

Here is something that really bugs me, people come on the dirtrider forum, ask a bunch of questions and then just shoot through without giving the post contributers any feedback. Like what did you buy, how did you like it, or if it was a bike problem how did you fix it in the end, were any of us right with our suggestions? Stop being takers, give a little back.

So flapisthebomb what did you buy? Did you like it?

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
Yea, it would be nice for them to say which bike they got and then maybe come back and say how they like it. Help to know how the suggestions are going. I have seen a few people do that, but not many.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom