Behind the front # plate gas tank?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I need to enter a long race (Elsinore GP) , but I doubt that my 125 will go the 35-40 mile distance on the stock tank. IMS and Clark don't make a larger tank for the '03 KX yet, so I was wondering about the 1/2 gallon tank that mounts behind the front number plate and siphons into the main tank. I've seen it at Chapparal and in magazines (but not lately). Has anyone tried it and does it work?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well, I just bought the 0.8 gallon one and it looks like it could double as a front number plate. Acerbis makes them in both 0.8 and 1.3 gallons and they call it the "auxiliary fuel tank". I'll post on how it worked after the GP.

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I'll have to put a quick death to this one. The main problem with this thing is the brake line getting in the way or hung up. If you remove the brake line guide near the number plate, there is an out side chance of getting it to work, but the brake line would probably get hooked over the corner of the tank while you were riding (ugly). The problems don't stop there, but I did.

I should have taken a clue when the Chaparral sales dude mentioned that the clamps supplied wouldn't fit upside down forks, only fitting conventional forks from years past. If Acerbis didn't upgrade their product during the past 15 years, then it was probably a dud long ago.

Only the truly desperate would use this thing. I will get my 67 bucks back from Crapparal. :think:

Top Bottom